twenty three

"Are you sure this will work?" Sage asked for what seemed like the thousandth time.

    "As sure as i can be." Draco answered once more, running a hand down his face in exasperation. Though doubt was eating away at what very little confidence Draco had, he continued holding a strong facade. It was obvious that Sage was absolutely terrified. Their plan was weakly constructed with gaping holes in it, but they had to go through with it.

    "How can we possibly know that it will get to him? What if-"

    "Enough, Sage." Draco snapped, his tired eyes narrowed at the Whitaker girl. "We don't know this will work, but we have to try. You know that."

    Sage huffed in defeat, he elbows resting on her knees and her head in her hands. Silence hung heavy in the air as she sat in deep thought. This opal necklace was their shot at killing Dumbledore and completing their task. This was one of the two tasks that weighed down to teenagers. They had spent days and nights in the Room of Requirement thinking of ways to repair the damned vanishing cabinet and assassinate the beloved Hogwarts headmaster.

    "Sage," Draco started softly, taking a seat next to the distraught girl. She looked up with tears gleaming in her once so lively eyes. "I need you to trust me on this. It will work."

It has to work. Draco internally said trying to reassure himself.

Sage nodded numbly.

"You said it yourself, we will get through this. Don't quit on me now."

Another nod.

"Then let's get this over with." Draco said as he stood and pulled Sage to her feet. As Draco began to weave his way through the towers of junk, Sage pulled him back.

"J-Just don't leave me. Okay?"

    Draco gripped Sage's hand that had a tight hold on his forearm. "Never."

    Sage took a deep breath and pulled herself together. She tried to control her shaking hands as she tucked the neatly wrapped parcel that contained the cursed piece of jewelry into her cloak. Draco walked ahead of her, tightening his own cloak around his neck. He opened the door and looked down both ways to make sure the coast was clear. Sage followed his lead walking down the empty halls of Hogwarts, the clicking of her heels echoing around them. As they walked from the school, the wind grew harsher and the snow grew thicker with every step that she took. Finally, the two reached the Three Broomsticks. Draco held the door open for Sage, letting her pass through quickly. Immediately, Sage headed towards the back of the pub with Draco by her side. They walked to a secluded booth, far away from prying eyes.

    Slowly but surely, students began to file into the pub. Sage glanced at Draco who nodded at her. It was time. Sage stood from the table and walked to the restroom. Sage's step faltered when her eyes met the cold one's of Harry Potter. She opened and closed her mouth like a fish out of water and averted her eyes. She walked into the restroom and leaned against the door, taking a deep breath to calm her frazzled nerves. She ran a hand through her hair and moved away from the door, waiting for someone to walk into her trap. The only sound that could be heard in the cramped room was the Slytherin's heavy breaths and the pounding of her heart against her chest. After what seemed like forever, the door opened and Katie Bell, a Gryffindor, walked in. It took a second for the Gryffindor to realize she wasn't alone, but Katie smiled when she realized it was Sage.

    "Sage!" Katie exclaimed, the smile on her face faltering when she noticed Sage's stoical demeanor.

    "Is there something wrong?"

    Sage ignored the question and pulled out the parcel and her wand.

    "I'm so sorry, Katie." Sage said softly, a tear slipping from her eye as she lifted her wand and pointed it at the confused girl.

    "Imperio." The word rolled off of her tongue as if it were poisonous. Katie's face fell slack and her eyes became cloudy.

    "I want you to take this to Dumbledore," Sage started, placing the parcel in Katie's hand. "Take no detours.  If you fai and anyone asks who told you to do this, it was not me. Is that understood?" Katie nodded, her eyes staring blankly ahead. "Wait a couple of minutes to leave the restroom, understood?" Another blank nod was sent her way. Sage took a deep breath and placed her wand back in her cloak. She pushed the door open and walked out as if nothing had happened. She could feel the gaze of Harry on her back as she walked, but she payed no mind to him. When Sage reached her table, Draco sat there with cold eyes that softened when Sage was in his line of sight. She released a shaky breath.

    "Did you do it?" Draco asked as he pushed a cup of butterbeer in front of Sage.

    "Yeah. I did it."

    Draco released a breath that he didn't realize he was holding. Sage silently prayed that the plan would go smoothly. Her train of thought was interrupted by Professor Slughorn making his way to her table.

    "Sage, My Dear!"

    "Hello, Professor." Sage smiled kindly and greeted him.

    "Tell me, how is your father doing? Does he still work at the Ministry?" Sage internally rolled her eyes at the Professor's "curiosity".

    "He does, sir. As hardworking as ever." The words left a bitter taste in Sage's mouth. Slughorn let a merry laugh escape him, nearly spilling the contents of his mug on Sage.

    "Well, in that case, how would you like to come to my supper party? I only ask the best of the best to come, so choose your answer wisely."

    With a hesitant smile, Sage shrugged her shoulders. "What harm could it do?"

    "Brilliant! Keep an eye out for my owl, Whitaker." Slughorn smiled a joyful smiled. Before he left, he glanced to Draco who had a sour look on his face. Slughorn nodded curtly to him and walked away.

    "Did you see the way her ignored me? Bloody fool." Sage snorted at Draco's words.

    "Maybe he isn't too fond of your name, Draco." Draco huffed at her words.

    "Whatever. Let's go."

    Sage nodded and stood along with Draco. She would never admit this to his face,but she was excited for the supper. Maybe it would get all of the fowl events off of her mind. At least, she thought it would. Boy, was she wrong.

A/N:

i had the hardest time writing this bc draco used the imperious curse on madam rosmerta who then used the imperious curse on katie, but i was thinking how did katie recognize draco in the great hall before the fight in the bathroom?????? so i just changed the whole thing lmao

idk but if yall know, let me know in the comments or message me!

until next time

-outlaws