five

Sage had never heard her parents refer to her as a disgrace. Sure, she had been disowned, but never did her mother or father refer to her as a disgrace. That's because it wasn't true. Sage was the best child a parent could ask for. That is, if the parents were as loving and understanding as they should be. Sage had gotten good grades, she was loyal to her friends, and held her family on a high pedestal. She knew that family was important, and she cherished it. Even if her parents no longer considered her their family, they would always be hers. But, if there was one thing that Sage was not, it was a disgrace.

Unfortunately, things change.

She could feel everyone at her table and the neighboring tables around her staring at the blood red envelope that laid in front of her. She stared at the harmless looking envelope and cautiously grabbed it, her eyes flickering up to meet Draco's steel colored eyes. He nodded at her encouragingly. Sage slowly tore open the howler, preparing herself for the booming voice of her father or the nasally voice of her mother. When the envelope was fully opened, there was a moment of pure silence. Sage's leg was quaking in fear and her eyes were darting around anxiously, fully aware of the eyes on her.

"HOW DARE YOU, YOU UNGRATEFUL SWINE." boomed her father's voice. Sage's mouth fell in shock, tears beginning to well in her eyes. "HOW COULD YOU DISRESPECT YOUR PROFESSOR IN SUCH A WAY. WE DID NOT RAISE YOU TO BE A DISRESPECTFUL, LOUSY, INSOLENT YOUNG WOMEN. YOU DARE DIRTY THE WHITAKER NAME WITH SUCH FILTH AS YOURSELF? EVEN WHEN YOU, YOURSELF ARE NO LONGER A WHITAKER? SHAME ON YOU, SAGE. YOU ARE A DISGRACE TO THE WHITAKER NAME, SAGE. YOUR MOTHER IS A WRECK, YOU HAVE TORN THIS FAMILY APART. WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR DAUGHTER? WHEN DID YOU BECOME THIS- THIS MONSTER?!".

Sage's dark brown hair shielded her blotchy face from the students in the great hall who stared at her. This was the first time anyone but Draco knew that she was no longer welcomed in the Whitaker home. No one could see the tears that slipped from her eyes, or the way her lips trembled with anger and sadness.

Sage finally raised her head and looked around at the on lookers with fierce eyes. "DON'T YOU ALL HAVE ANYTHING BETTER TO DO THAN STARE?" She snapped loudly, her voice cracking dangerously. In one swift motion, she gathered her things and hurriedly walked away from the Great Hall, her hair swishing behind her. Draco had followed behind her, trying to catch up with her, but by the time he had exited the Great Hall, she was gone.

When the duo had left the Great Hall, whispers had broken out among the student body. Rumors began spreading like wildfire about Sage being disowned. Surely, her outburst in Umbridge's class wasn't the only reason behind her banishment from her home.

"Blimey, i wouldn't want to be her right now." Ron had mumbled in between mouthfuls of food, his tone baffled. Harry nodded in agreement, a part of him feeling sorry for the Slytherin girl. Hermione hummed in agreement, not fully processing what Ron had said. Her eyes were trained on the entrance of the Great Hall. Curiosity had gotten the best of her when she stood from the table, declaring that she was going to the library. As Hermione wandered the halls of Hogwarts, she searched for any sign of the Slytherin girl. Searching in empty classrooms and broom closets, she had nearly given up on finding her when she heard dulcet whimpering echoing from a staircase that lead to the top of the astronomy tower. Hermione followed the sounds with caution, not knowing how Sage would react upon seeing her.

Sage sat near the edge of the tower, her feet swinging off. Hermione could see the sun shining on her dark brown hair, which laid upon her shaking shoulders. With a frown etched on  her face, Hermione let her bag softly fall. She stepped forward, trying not to alarm the subdued girl. Reaching Sage, she sat down gently taking the same position as Sage. Hermione gazed over the ancient castle of Hogwarts, watching students buzz around each other.