thirty two

Days had passed after the fight in the bathroom and Sage was still unconscious in the Hospital Wing. Rumors filled the halls during the days that had passed and Hermione couldn't help but worry for the girl she loved. She would stay up past hours in the Gryffindor common room staring blankly at the dying fire, letting her mind wonder back the happy memories she still had of Sage.

But, with every thought of Sage brought a sense of suspicion.Hermione constantly thought about Harry's accusations against Sage and Draco, but she ended every thought with denial. There was no way Sage could be a death eater. She was too pure, too innocent. Hermione knew that Sage was strongly against everything that Lord Voldemort's ranks stood for, so how could it be possible? No matter how much Hermione denied Sage's affiliation with the death eaters, all the evidence was piling against her. She just didn't want to believe it, not about her Sage. Not about the the girl who made her heart skip a beat just by looking at her. Not about the girl who showed her what love, raw and unfaltering, felt like.

But, as each day passed, the small hope Hermione held was shrinking. Sage made no moves to prove Harry's accusations wrong, so Hermione didn't know what to think. Her heart longed to believe that Sage was still the pure girl she fell in love with, but her mind knew that she wasn't.

"'Mione?" A groggy voice interrupted the quiet of the common room, startling Hermione. Her head snapped to the source of the voice and frowned gently.

"What're you doing up?" Harry asked softly, walking over to the couch she sat on. Hermione sighed deeply and turned back to the fire that flickered in front of her.

"I couldn't sleep."
Harry rolled his eyes at her short answer. "Okay, now what's the truth?" He asked once again, taking a seat next to Hermione. Hermione glanced at Harry and sighed.

"I'm just thinking, Harry. Nothing you need to concern yourself with." The pair stayed quiet for a beat before Harry broke the silence again.

"It's about her, isn't it?" Hermione tensed at the tane of Harry's voice.

"And if it was?" Hermione snapped. "It's not it's any of your business." Hermione continued, watching as Harry visibly flinched at hermione's sharp tone. A frown pulled at Harry's lips.

"I'm sorry, Okay. I-I'm just so frustrated by this mess." Hermione admitted while running a hand through her hair. "I don't know what to think anymore." She continued, her voice wavering. Harry sighed, guilt written all over his face. He never noticed the toll everything was taking on Hermione.

"I keep telling myself that Sage isn't capable of the things you say; that she isn't one of them. But, even I can't deny the facts. Sage," Hermione paused allowing a sob to escape her trembling lips. "Sage wouldn't do this on her own accord. There has to be a reason." Hermione finished with a hopeful look on her tear stricken face. She turned to face Harry who had sympathy and doubt swirling in his tired eyes.

"Don't do this to yourself." Harry said sternly causing Hermione to frown once again. "Sage Whitaker doesn't deserve your tears. She's just as dark and twisted as the Malfoys. Everything that has happened to Katie and to Ron was done by her hand." Harry aggressively snapped. Hermione was taken aback by Harry's sudden change in behavior. As her friend she expected him to more sympathetic towards her. Harry sighed and looked away from Hermione.

"Why can't you see that there isn't anything redeemable in Sage?" Harry asked softly, his words shocking Hermione. She couldn't help the anger that bubbled in the pit of her stomach. How dare he say that about Sage? Her Sage. Hermione knew that whatever Sage was going through, it wasn't willingly.

"Now, that's enough!" Hermione said fiercely. "i know, Sage. I know that whatever the hell is going on between her and Malfoy isn't something she willingly walked into. Sage is so much smarter than that. She wouldn't do this, not to me." Hermione finished, her voice cracking at the end of her sentence.

"Why?" Harry scoffed. "Because she loves you?" Harry asked rhetorically.

Hermione stood and turned around to face Harry. "Yes! Because she loves me and i love her!" She snapped with a furious look on her face.

"Please, Hermione! Even you can't be that naive-" Before Harry could finish his sentence, a sharp snap echoed through the empty common room. A stinging sensation was tingling on Harry's left cheek. Hermione stood in front of Harry, her mouth open in shock. She wanted to apologize, but the words seemed to be stuck in her throat.

"I'm sorry." Hermione finally whispered breaking the tense silence. She didn't wait for Harry to reply as she quickly fled the common room, storming out of the portrait.

Hermione quickly rushed through the halls, making her way to the Hospital Wing. She needed to see Sage.

A/N
I KNOW I KNOW IM A MONSTER FOR UPDATING SO LATE BUT IVE BEEN SO BUSY SO IM SORRY OK
BUT I HAVE THE LAST TWO CHAPTERS OF THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE PLANNED OUT AND IM GONNA START WRITING CH. 33 TODAY OK BYE THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING ILY ALL
UNTIL NEXT TIME
-OUTLAWS