ten

Sage sat by the Black Lake with a book about defensive magic resting in her lap. Her back rested against a stone and she stared out into the calm lake. She sat there, thinking, wishing, crying.

Christmas was approaching quickly and Sage felt more alone than ever. She knew that she was no longer welcomed at the Whitaker manor, but a part of her wished that a Christmas miracle could happen, just this once. It was undeniable, she missed her parents dearly. But, Sage knew better. Any hope for her parents was gone.

    Hermione walked from the castle, tightening her crimson and gold scarf tightly around her neck. From where she stood, she could see the very familiar head of brunette hair near the Black Lake. Confused, Hermione slowly made her way to Sage. When she did reach her, she saw Sage's blotchy and tear streaked face. Hermione could feel her heart skip a beat when seeing Sage. Even with sadness masking her features, she never failed to look as beautiful as she did.

    "Sage? What happened?" Hermione asked softly, taking a seat on the ground next to the distraught girl. Sage laughed bitterly, wiping her cheeks to rid herself of any evidence that she was crying.

    "Nothing."

    "That's not true. You can tell me." Hermione pushed, trying not to push Sage over the edge. Despite Sage's efforts to stop anymore tears from flowing, tears leaked from her eyes. She looked at Hermione with her wide, sad eyes, analyzing her face for any sign of dishonesty. Maybe Hermione was right, maybe she could tell her. At least, the real reason.

    "Do you remember when we were in the astronomy tower? After i got the howler from my father?" Hermione nodded, the memory resurfacing. "Well, during the summer, i -uh- i revealed something to them, something that makes me, me. But, they didn't take it very well. They disowned me. They left me, their only child, to be on my own. With Christmas coming up, i just realized i don't have anywhere left to go."

    Hermione wrapped her arms around her legs, shielding herself from the frigid breeze, letting Sage's words sink in.

    "You told me that you were disowned because you weren't a blood maniac like them, but that isn't it, is it?" Hermione inquired, turning her head to face Sage. Sage smiled at Hermione, a real smile.

    "They were right, you are the smartest witch in our year." Hermione blushed under Sage's gaze, causing the latter to laugh softly at the flustered girl.

    "And, you're right. That wasn't the only reason. I, uh, I told them my true feelings." Sage glanced at Hermione with uncertainty. "I can trust you, right?" Hermione immediately nodded, the action an instant reflex.

    "I'm not straight." Sage said, mentally groaning at her way of coming out to Hermione. Hermione lifted an eyebrow, needing clarification. Sage laughed lightly at Hermione's obliviousness. "I like girls the way boy do." Sage said slowly, waiting for a reaction for the Gryffindor girl. Hermione lifted her head, turning back to look at the water. Her hand moved from her legs towards her side. Hermione didn't realize the close proximity between the two girls and her breath caught in her throat. Hermione glanced down at Sages empty hand that rested on a book long forgotten. She gathered the courage and reached for Sage's hands, intertwining their fingers. Sage looked down at the sudden touch and quickly looked back to Hermione with a quizzical look.

    Hermione gulped and said,"Is this okay?"

    Sage smiled a bright smile at Hermione and nodded happily. "Yeah, it's okay."

    Together, the two girls sat closely, hands interlocked. Sage glanced at Hermione with adoring eyes. There was no denying it any more, Sage was in deep and there was no going back.

A/N:

cute ass chapter for a cute ass couple amiright????