twenty six

The Hospital Wing was nearly empty. Draco Malfoy and Alaric Dawson were seated on both sides of Sage Whitaker's bed. Though Madame Pomfrey continuously insisted that the two sixth years go back to their dorm, they stayed rooted in their spot. Draco was wide awake, his eyes trained on Sage's hand that he gripped tightly. Alaric had his head resting on the edge of Sage's bed, soft snores leaving his body. Draco glanced up and examined Sage's peaceful face. He could see the color slowly returning to her cheeks, making her  look like the once innocent soul she used to be. He knew that this task would be the death of her, but Draco would himself would die before he let that happen.

A groan of pain left Sage's lips, immediately jolting Draco back into reality.

"Sage? Can you hear me?" Draco whispered, his voice hopeful.

"Unfortunately." Sage mumbled, her eyes fluttering open. Draco laughed gleefully, ecstatic to hear her voice. Sage winced at the loud sound, causing Draco's face drop with worry.

"Let me get Pomfrey." Draco muttered as he stood. The Slytherin boy walked from the bed quickly. The sudden movement around Alaric slowly dragged the Ravenclaw from his slumber. Sleep clouded his thoughts, not allowing him to fully register the now awake Whitaker. He glanced behind him to see Draco and a frazzled Madame Pomfrey heading back to the bed. With furrowed brows, Alaric turned back to the bed. Finally, he noticed Sage who smiled weakly at him.

"Bloody hell! You're awake!" Alaric shouted, startling Sage. She winced once more.

"Yes, i am. And in a lot of pain so please calm down." She mumbled, her words slurring together. Madame Pomfrey quickly walked to the girl, Draco trailing behind her, and sent a disapproving frown Alaric's way.

"How are you feeling, Miss Whitaker?" She asked kindly, glancing down to Sage.

"Not very well."

"Well, i can fix that. Sit up for me, dear." Sage complied with the matron's request with the help of Draco and Alaric. Sage groaned when a dizzy spell hit her harshly. Madame Pomfrey bustled around the girl, doing her routine checks.

"Have you been sleeping?" Madame Pomfrey questioned. "Or eating?"

    Before Sage could answer, Draco cut her off. "No, she hasn't. Not normally at least."

    Pomfrey tisked at Sage, her hands resting on her hips. "Well, it's lucky that Mr. Malfoy here found you when he did. Said that you were just laying on the floor of the common room, gave him a fright." Sage glanced at Draco and frowned sadly.

    "Rest here for the night and tomorrow, you should be okay. Be sure to take the tonic to help you." Madame Pomfrey said, placing a vial on the table next to her table. "And, please start taking care of yourself, Sage. You have people who care about you. Draco, Alaric, even Miss Granger stopped by to see you."

    Shock washed over Sage when she heard those words. Hermione had visited her? She looked at Draco who avoided her quizzical eyes.

    "I-I will. Thank you, Madame Pomfrey." Madame Pomfrey nodded and walked away from the trio. When Sage was sure the matron couldn't hear her, she looked between Alaric and Draco.

    "She came?" The question spilled form her mouth. When Draco didn't answer, Alaric did.

    "Yeah. She wanted to stay, but Mr. Pushy over here only gave her five minutes." Alaric said lightly, trying to break the sudden tension in the air. Draco's eyes widened and he looked at Alaric in anger. Sage shut her eyes tightly, taking a deep breath to calm herself.

    "She wanted to stay, but you made her leave?" Sage said, her voice barely above a whisper. Draco flinched at the hurt that seeped from her words.