sixteen

a/n: read the authors note at the end please!

After Luna suggested flying to the Ministry, a pit of nervousness began brewing in Sage. She had a feeling that something was going to happen, and it wasn't good. She clutched the thestral she was riding tightly, the invisible animal causing her a great deal of anxiety. She squeezed her eyes shut trying to avoid looking at the city they were flying above.

    Once they reached the ministry, they descended down to the ninth level and down a corridor. Harry lead the group of loyal teenagers to a  door that stood at the end of the corridor. With a nod to the group behind him, he slowly opened the door. They were greeted with tall shelves of crystal balls filled with a swirling mist inside of each one.

    "The Department of Mysteries." Sage had said in awe, staring at the shelves that seemed to go on forever.

    "Come on, this way." Harry had told the others, taking off in a sprint to where he believed Sirius was being held. Sage ran with them, her wand in her hand and her hair flying behind her. They ran with all their strength until Harry came to a sudden stop.

    "Here, he should be here." Harry said as he looked around wildly. Sage clenched her eyes shut, a knowing feeling in her gut.

    "Harry, it's got your name on it." Neville had said, bringing the attention of the others to him. He was holding up a small crystal orb that was filled with an enchanting mist. Harry cautiously walked forward. His hand grasped the orb and a voice echoed around them.

    "The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches... born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies... and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not... and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives... the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies...." As the final words were uttered, Sage noticed approaching figures around them.

    "Guys." She said softly, pointing to the people who were beginning to surround them. Her heart was beating erratically as she moved closer to Hermione. Sage's hand found Hermione's and she grasped it tightly, the fear coursing through her veins. Sage could hear her heartbeat in her ears. She could faintly hear a voice that was familiar to her ridiculing Harry for believing the illusion Lord Voldemort planted in his mind. Tears threatened to fall. She could see the cold face of Lucius Malfoy staring at Harry, requesting the prophecy that was tightly held in Harry's hand. Sage could hear the cackling of Bellatrix Lestrange as the woman walked closer the them, the devil in her eyes. Sage wanted to shrink, to cower away, but the hand that tightly held hers made her feel as if she could conquer the world. Blinking back the tears that pooled in her eyes, Sage stood taller. She pushed Hermione further behind her, not wanting to risk her getting hurt.

    In a flourish of movement, Harry sent a stunning charm towards Lucius and Bellatrix. Sage and Hermione, along with the others sent other spells all around them, warding off the approaching Death Eaters. She felt Hermione pull her to start running, Sage followed closely behind, but her hand slipped from Hermione's tight grasp. Hermione continued on running thinking Sage was following her, but Sage lost sight of the trio. She turned down a random aisle, sending spells and hexes to any Death Eaters that came too close to her. She pushed herself to run faster, her legs aching as she did so.

A shove to her back caused Sage to fall forward, landing in a heap. Her hair fell in front of her, covering her tear stricken face. Sage turned her head to see a tall cloaked figure standing above her.

"Silly child. You should know better than to put your trust in a blood-traitor." The gruff voice the echoed around her rang a bell of familiarity in her head.