twenty seven

Sage sighed as she looked at herself in the mirror of her dorm. A form fitting black dress clung to her figure. Sage ran her hands down her dress clearing it of imaginary wrinkles. A fleeting feeling of nervousness stirred in the pit of her stomach. It was the evening of Slughorn's Christmas party and Sage was dreading going to it. She had told Draco and Alaric that her time could be better spent helping with the tasks that were to be completed soon. Unfortunately, her persistent words didn't persuade the two teens. So, Sage reluctantly complied with their request. The slightly pissed off girl made her way down the stairs into the common room that was illuminated by the faint green light of the fireplace. Draco sat with Alaric on the couch, making small talk. Alaric was dressed in his dress robes, twirling his wand in his hand. Draco wore his normal black suit, his platinum hair smoothed back.

    "I still think that our energy could be better spent doing something that actually matters, Draco." Sage said as she stopped in front of the two teens. Draco rolled his eyes as he stood.

    "Stop, Sage. You've done way too much, please just try and enjoy yourself."

    Sage sighed softly, a tight frown on her lips. Alaric stood from his seat clapping his hands to rid the tension in the room.

    "As much as I would love to continue this talk, we should get going." Sage nodded and reluctantly followed Alaric out of the common room. The two friends walked down the halls in silence, the sound of heels echoing off of the ancient walls. Alaric glanced at Sage and frowned. The Slytherin had a look of deep thought on her face, her eyes focused in front of her and a small frown subconsciously pulling at the ends of her lips.

"You know he is trying to help you." Alaric said breaking the tension. Sage rolled her eyes, scoffing lightly.

"He is babying me. There is a reason we were assigned these tasks." Sage muttered as her frown deepened. Alaric sighed and stopped her by grabbing her forearm.

"He knows that. He just want's you to take it easy. Even if it's just for tonight." Alaric tried to reason. Sage remained silent as they approached the room the party was being held in. Sage stopped in front of the door and took a deep breath, trying to prepare herself for the oncoming chaos.

"Ready?" Alaric questioned with a small smile on his face and his hand on the door handle.

"As ready as i will ever be." Sage said lowly, standing up straighter. Alaric chuckled and opened the door. Sage walked into the room slowly, taking in the extravagant decorations that hung from the ceiling and draped around the walls. She hooked her arm with Alaric's allowing him to pull her fully into the room. The people who were scattered around the room were dressed in spectacular colors giving the room a festive feel. Although Sage's eyes were on her surroundings, the people around her couldn't help but admire the awe stricken girl. Among those who glanced and whispered about the Whitaker girl was Hermione Granger. Hermione Granger was enamoured with the grace that Sage held. Hermione nodded half-halfheartedly as her "date" for the ball, Cormac McLaggen, talked about something the Gryffindor girl could care less about. She watched as Sage talked with Alaric Dawson, admiring the former's breath-taking appearance. In Hermione's eyes, Sage was the epitome of perfection. It was as if fate had it in for Sage, because the moment the Whitaker girl looked up, her cinnamon eyes locked with Hermione's hazel ones. But, Sage forced herself to look away from Hermione. She pulled Alaric as far from the Gryffindor girl as she could, resisting every urge to turn back around and just hold Hermione. Alaric and Draco had forced Sage to attend to party to forget her troubles for the night and that was exactly what she planned to do. (or at least try to do)

    The night was filled with talk and laughter. Sure, Sage tried to have fun, she really did try, but she couldn't help the lingering darkness that filled her mind. Every time she glanced at Hermione, she felt as if the dark mark that stained her body stung to remind her of who she was. Sage smiled a smile that didn't reach her eyes, laughed a laugh that held an undertone of sadness. She acted like the girl she once was, hiding the negativity that threatened to wreak havoc on the bright and bubbly festivities of the night. She had everyone fooled, well almost everyone.

    Hermione could see through Sage's facade with ease. Hermione spent a majority of the night stealing glances at the Whitaker, longing for them to have a cliche moment where their eyes would meet and every feeling they once felt would come rushing back like a tsunami wave. That's all Hermione wanted. But, she knew that it wasn't possible. She knew that Sage had made her decision, but that didn't stop hope from planting itself in her mind. Though Sage had made it clear that they would go nowhere, it didn't stop Hermione from loving the Whitaker. Even if those feelings weren't returned.

    The hours Sage spent among her "friends" in the party seemed to become longer loud slam had interrupted most of the conversations that flowed between the guests. Argus Filch, the caretaker that resided at Hogwarts, marched into the party, attracting a small crowd that included Sage and Alaric. Filch stood in the center of the group with a smug smirk on his face and a squirming Draco tightly gripped by his hand. Slughorn pushed through the crowd of curious students and adults who were watching curiously.

    "Professor Slughorn, sir! I've just discovered this boy lurking in an upstairs corridor. He claims to have been invited to your party." Filch told Slughorn, pushing Draco in front of him. Sage and Alaric glanced at each other, their hearts beating quickly with worry.

    "Okay, okay, I was gate-crashing." Draco muttered. Sage silently cursed. Draco must have gotten caught while going to the room of requirement. Alaric inconspicuously put a reassuring hand on Sage's arm. She took a deep breath and glanced back at him. With a thankful nod, they both began inching towards the door.

    "I'll escort him out." Professor Snape had called from the back of the room, walking to Draco and gripping his arm tightly. Sage clenched her teeth in worry, no longer finding comfort in the hand that rested on her arm. She watched as Snape and Draco made their way out of the party. The party and it's guests continued on as if nothing had happened. Sage rushed to the door, taking the opportunity to sneak out unnoticed with Alaric by her side.

    "Maybe i did hex that Bell girl. Maybe i didn't. What's it to you?" Draco snapped in a harsh whisper leaning against a wall hidden by the shadows. Sage had a bitter look on her face, her cold eyes staring the potions professor down. Alaric was standing tall, his body tense and defensive. The three teens had dangerously cold looks painted on their face.

    "I swore to protect you. I made the Unbreakable Vow-"

    "We don't need protection." Sage cut off her professor. Her voice sent chills down the two boys spine. "We were chosen for this. Out of all others. Us. And we will not fail him."

    "You're afraid, Sage. You attempt to conceal it, but it's obvious. Let me assist you-"

    "No!" Alaric snapped, stepping in front of his friends protectively. "He chose me to watch over them, to help them. Not you, sir." Alaric spit out as if the word 'sir' was venom in his mouth.

    "He chose us. This is our moment." Draco added, promptly ending any discussion of Professor Snape assisting them. The trio quickly walked away from the professor, never looking back. As much as they didn't want to be apart of this mess, they had to put on a show. Whether they liked it or not, the death eaters would soon infiltrated the castle and Dumbledore would be dead.

A/N:

in honor of international women's day i decided to update bc sage is a bombass bitch

also, i have not wanted to update bc i think this chapter is shit but i had to.

comment and let me know if you guys enjoyed this chapter! What do you guys think will happen in the next chapter?

until next time

-outlaws