thirty nine

The bad feeling that Sage had never really went away. In fact, it continued to intensify more and more as they marched through the ministry, disguised as middle-aged witches and wizards, trying to blend in among the working class of the wizarding world. She pushed past others trying to match her pace with Hermione's. They stopped at the gigantic fountain, trying to remain unnoticed. The bad feeling got worse. It was vibrating throughout her body as if it were an alarm. Something bad is going to happen, Sage thought to herself as she tried to ignore the sound of her heartbeat in her ears. Something bad is going to happen. Something bad is going to happen. Something bad. Something bad. Something ba-

"Is that-"

"Muggles." Hermione cut Harry off, looking ill as she stared at the statues at the bottom of the fountain. "In their rightful place."

Sage tuned back into the new conversation attempting to push the bad feelings away. The marble statue in front of the four of them made her feel nauseous. The others turned their attention to the shouting that emerged from the fireplaces. Snatchers pushed their way past civilians, dragging a struggling wizard with them.

"The ministry must be hiring young these days." Harry spoke, following the group as they passed.

"They're not ministry." Sage spoke, her voice not her own. She followed along quickly as they walked to the lifts in a tight group. "They're snatchers."

"Snatchers?"

"They hunt muggle-borns and blood-traitors for a price." Ron added, finishing Sage's thought as they pushed through the crowd of wizards and witches to get to the lifts.

"Cattermole!" A strong voice shouted, causing the four of them to jump. The voice caused Sage to push herself as far into the corner as possible, the familiar snap causing her to tremble. Yaxley, a Death Eater who Sage (unfortunately) had the pleasure of meeting over the course of her summer at the Malfoy Manor, marched right up to Ron.

"It's still raining in my office. Two days now."

"Really? Have you tried an umbrella?" Sage wanted to hit Ron across the head for his answer. Yaxley peered curiously at Ron.

"You do realize I'm on my way downstairs, don't you, Cattermole?" Yaxley leaned in menacingly as he studied Ron's confused expression. The bad feeling grew as Sage gulped back her nerves. "To interrogate your wife! If my wife's blood status were in doubt and the Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement needed a job doing, I think I'd make it a priority. You've got one hour."

Yaxley's gaze strayed from Ron, studying each of their faces. As his wicked stare met Sage's she could see a flash of familiarity within his cold and calculating irises. The lift closed in front of Yaxley, but his gaze remained on her, studying her for some flaw in her disguise. The bad feeling intensified. Something wicked comes this way, Sage, are you ready? The lift flew from it's dormant spot, taking them to their destination.

As the trio discussed a plan for Ron, Sage remained silent. Her thoughts were filled with the way Yaxley looked at her. It was like he could see through the polyjuice potion, as if he could feel that it was Sage. The bad feeling grew stronger making Sage feel nauseous. Maybe it was her dark mark, maybe he could feel it was her.

The lift arrived and let Ron off after he nervously gave a curt nod to the others. The lift then moved, taking the three of them to the first level.