twenty nine

Christmas break was long over and Sage couldn't be more happy about it

Christmas break was long over and Sage couldn't be more happy about it. She would never admit it out loud, but she missed the hectic halls swarmed with students. Walking the halls during the break left Sage feeling lonely. Even being in the constant company of Draco and Alaric left Sage wanting something more that her two closest friends couldn't give her. She wanted Hermione, but with the storm on the horizon, that wasn't possible.

Sage had spent a majority of the break attempting to fix the damned vanishing cabinet with Draco and Alaric. She was tired and drained of any strength she once had. Anyone who looked at the girl could see how her skin was sickly pale and her face was beginning to become sunken in. But, Sage new the end of their tedious journey was near. Slowly but surely the cabinet was mending itself. She knew that when they did complete their tasks, everything would change. Now, their situation wasn't fully registering in her mind. She still felt as if she were just a normal student, but when the Death Eaters do storm the castle, it would all become real. Sage didn't want to fully let go of the small shred of innocence that she held so dear to her heart, but the war that was brewing would rip it out of her cold dead hands. Whether she wanted it or not.

"Sage. did you hear me?" Pansy Parkinson asked while snapping her fingers in front of the dazed girls face. Sage blinked rapidly as if she was barely waking from a deep slumber.

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" Sage asked, resting her head on the palm of her hand.

"Nevermind, it wasn't important. What's wrong with you." Pansy inquired.

Sage raised an eyebrow at Pansy's question. "Why do you this something is wrong?"

"Because you look like death itself. Now spit it out, Whitaker." Pansy snapped, leaning back in her chair with her arms crossed over her chest.

"Pansy, Noth-"

"Don't you tell me Nothing is wrong. You've been spacing out and haven't been eating. What's happening. Is it that Granger girl?" Pansy rambled on, causing Sage to groan and roll her eyes.

"For fucks sake, Pansy, just drop it. Nothing is wrong and even if there was i wouldn't tell you of all people." Sage slammed her book close, her voice raising with each word she said. Pansy's face grew red with embarrassment, glancing at the people who looked at their table in curiosity. Sage grabbed her things and harshly stuffed them into her bag. She didn't spare Pansy or anyone else in the library a glance as she stormed out, letting the door slam behind her. Sage had become this ball of anger of the last couple of months, constantly finding something to be pissed off about. She had so much pent up anger, which caused her to take it out on all the wrong people.

The scene in the library left everyone whispering about the Whitaker girl, well everyone except for Hermione Granger who still had her eyes trained on the door that Sage walked out of. Harry Potter and Ron Weasley whispered about Sage's outburst, trying to figure out the reasoning behind it. But, Hermione didn't care about the stupid reasons they were coming up with. No, the only thing she cared about was Sage.

"Hey, guys. I-I'm feeling tired. I think i'm going to go back to the common room, okay?" Hermione said, tripping over her words as she shoved her belongings back into her bag. Harry and Ron glanced at each other in confusion then looked back to Hermione who was already standing up from her seat.

"Okay, we'll go back with you." Harry decided, looking up at Hermione with worried eyes.

"No! N-No, don't worry about it. I'll be fine. I'll see you guys at dinner." Hermione rushed out while walking to the door. Before Ron or Harry could object, Hermione quickly walked out of the library and let out a breath of relief. The Gryffindor walked with determination down the hall Sage had took. She spent hours looking for the Slytherin girl and had nearly given up hope when finally, as Hermione walked up the stairs of the astronomy tower, she spotted Sage sitting crossed-legged looking out to the setting sun.

Hermione stayed quiet, as if any sudden sounds would disrupt the peacefulness that seemed to surround Sage. But, Sage wasn't blind.

"I know you're there, 'Mione." Sage said softly, turning her head to face the sheepish girl. It was then Hermione could finally see the pain that resided in Sage's hazel eyes. Hermione frowned as she took a step closer to Sage, testing her limits. Sage faintly laughed and looked back out to the horizon in front of her.

"You don't have to be hesitant, 'Mione. Not now at least." Sage said lightly as se looked down, letting her hair shield her face. Hermione gently set her bag on the floor and walked to Sage. She sat down, leaving some space between the two girls. Hermione never took her eyes off of Sage and Sage knew it.

"You want to talk about it?" Hermione inquired after a moment of silence. Sage looked at Hermione, her vulnerable state becoming clear to Hermione. She could tell Sage had been crying by the puffiness of her eyes, but regardless of whatever sadness Sage was feeling she still smiled a smile filled of admiration.

"You, Hermione Granger, are the most peculiar person I have ever met." Sage said softly, her smile never faltering. Hermione raised a brow at her statement. It was obvious Sage was trying to deflect Hermione's question. So, Hermione went along with it.

"What makes you say that?" Hermione asked. Sage shook her head in disbelief, a frown replacing the smile her lips held.

"Because, 'Mione. After everything that i have done, after everything that i put you through, you still come to console me. You have a heart of gold and it fucking destroys me to even think that i have ever hurt you. Y-You-" Sage paused, wiping away the tears that fell from her eyes. Hermione turned away from Sage, letting her eyes wander of the breathtaking landscape in front of them.

"You were the best thing that ever happened to me and i let you get away." Sage muttered. Hermione sighed deeply. Melancholy weighed her down, but she paid no mind to the pain that was building in her chest.

"Then let's forget. Just for now. In this moment, it's just us. Just forget all the bad stuff and focus on the moment." Hermione said softly, scooting closer to Sage. She took Sage's pale hand in her own. Sage leaned her head on Hermione's shoulder, closing her eyes and sighing in content. The warmth that she had longed for over the break had finally returned and it was as if everything was right in the world.

"Thank you, 'Mione." Sage mumbled as she opened her eyes. Hermione looked down at the Whitaker girl who laid on her shoulder. Gently, Hermione placed a small kiss on the top of Sage's head.

"I'd do anything for you, Sage. You should know that by now." Hermione thought to herself, but refusing to let the words she wanted to say slip out of her mouth.

The two star-crossed lovers sat together in silence, watching as the sun finally disappeared and the moon rose into the darkening night sky. As soon as they would leave this room, they would go back to admiring one another from afar and yearning to feel the lick of the flame that would ignite in their veins the moment they were near one another. Regardless of the storm that was on the rise, Sage knew that her love for Hermione would prevail and everything would be okay in the end.

But, no one knew of the sinister fate destiny had in store for them.

A/N:
sorry for the lack of updates
:(
im horrible i know
ill try and update on friday!
until next time
-outlaws