→ 𝙞.

---------------------------------------------

THE WHEELER'S BASEMENT WAS SILENT, THE THREE BOYS WATCHING MAX FINISH OFF WHATEVER SHE WAS WRITING. But not without staring her down, of course. Sebastian. She wrote on the final letter, Steve sat with his arms crossed. Why did Robin have to go with Nancy? To look like a scholar?- "I know you guys are staring at me." Max let out, the three boys putting up an act immediately. "What, sorry?" Steve let out, chucking a tennis ball into the air while Lucas nervously looked at a random magazine. "Just hanging out." Dustin let out, staring at the ceiling. "How you think your eyes boring into the back of my head is protecting me by Vecna, I don't know."

Lucas gulped at her statement. Of course he wanted to save her any way possible. Standing up, Max filed through her pile of letters, pushing Seb's to the back. The girl stopped in front of the three boys, them trying their best to ignore her. "You can look at me now." She let out timidly, everyone nodding and doing as told. "Thank you. Sorry." Lucas spoke, Dustin and Steve letting out the same as they paid full attention to the Mayfield girl. Sighing, she handed a letter to Dustin, him taking it slowly. "For you." Max spoke nervously, getting Steve's letter. "For you." She spoke, the elder teen believing he wouldn't have gotten one.

"And, um, you." She spoke, Lucas taking his slowly. "And, give these to Mike, El and Will." She spoke, the three staring at her. Why was she writing letters? "If you ever get a hold of them again." She handed three letters to Lucas, clearing her throat as she held another to Dustin. "And this one is for Seb." She spoke, Dustin taking it softly. The four were all in silence, Dustin laying Seb's letter on his lap before going to open his with Lucas and Steve. "Hey, what are you doing? No. That's not for now, don't open them." Max rushed, the three stopping quickly. "Don't... okay." Dustin let out, placing his letter atop of Seb's.

He stared at the two before holding them up. "I'm sorry, what are these?" He asked, causing Max to sigh. "It's um... it's a fail-safe. For after. If things- if they don't work out." Max stuttered, trying not to cry as Lucas shook his head. "Wait, whoa. Max, things are gonna work out-" "No!" Max interrupted, Lucas taken aback. "No, I don't need you to reassure me and tell me it's all gonna work out. Because, people have been telling me that my entire life and it's almost never true." She snapped further, Steve looking down. "It's never true. I mean, of course this asshole curses me. Should've seen that one coming." Her tone quietened, Lucas staring at her.

Walking over to the table, Max held up a radio. "If we go to East Hawkins, will this reach Pennhurst and Sebastian?" She asked, Dustin nodding. "Yeah, sure." He confirmed, Steve confused. "Why are we talking about East Hawkins?" He asked, Max and Dustin staring at him.

"No, no. No!"

––––––☆––––––