Chapter 35

Serenity was in love with Tristan's mother. She honestly couldn't have prayed for a better woman to be her boyfriend's mother than Katherine. The woman was honestly the sweetest, most gracious, friendly, and funniest person she had ever met. The two of them spent time getting to know one another over the next few days. They had a ball celebrating, cheering, screaming, and singing along with Knight and Nyle's other fans at the concert that night (in separate sections of course, to keep up the anonymity of Serenity's constant presence); then she and Katherine headed back to the house with a couple of the group's security guards, while Tristan went to the hotel to gather all their belongings.

Tristan was beat from performing for almost three hours, but he stayed up with them, talking about the show, eating a late-night snack, and laughing and reminiscing over his childhood and early days in the group. When he couldn't keep his eyes open anymore, he ventured out to the guest house alone while Serenity and Katherine stayed up until the wee hours of the night still talking and getting to know one another. By the time Serenity finally made it to the guesthouse, Tristan was knocked out naked in the bed. She thought about undressing and sitting on his face, but her prince needed his rest. Maybe tomorrow.

She was surprised Tristan was still asleep when she woke up the next morning, but the guys had been going and going for weeks so Serenity knew his body was exhausted and needed a break. Katherine called the phone in the guest house and informed her she was making breakfast and asked if she was hungry. She told her Tristan was still asleep, but she was starving. She took a quick shower; then headed across the huge lawn to the main house and watched in almost juvenile fascination while Katherine made them all a luxurious, well-balanced breakfast. That envy stirred inside of her again as she thought about her own mother. She missed her so much. Her mom cooking her breakfast was a rarity when she was growing up, but the few times she did it made Serenity feel so special. Her mom was a great cook. She missed her meals. Hard drugs aside, she missed everything about her. Katherine was a welcome "replacement."

Once Tristan finally woke up, they all enjoyed breakfast together. Like a family. It was heartwarming for her; slightly unsettling for him, the normalcy of it all. The ease of having her there with his mother. Like she belonged there. He found himself staring at her a lot that morning. At times, he felt like he wanted to run away. Other times, he wanted to barricade the two of them inside and never leave. He wondered if he'd ever get used to his new normal. And how long it would be before he fucked it up.

Tristan made plans with Nyle for that day, so Serenity was going to have a girls' day with Katherine. She looked forward to it. Before he left, she made sure to fulfill that promise to herself to sit on his face. It was worth the wait.

Katherine and Serenity spent that day outside by the pool; Nyle and Tristan enjoyed some much-needed guy time. It went like that for the next couple of days. Tristan did make sure to get in some time with his lady love. He and Nyle took her on a tour of Minneapolis in the limo with Brad. They showed her their old junior high and high schools, their old hang out spots, as well as Prince's Paisley Park. They took her to the recording studio where they recorded their first album and let her hear some tracks they were working on for their next project. After that, they took her to meet Nyle's mom. She was just as lovely as Katherine and so engaging. Serenity fell in love with her too.

They left Nyle with his mother and the two of them went out alone, enjoying their last night in Minneapolis. Tristan had rented out his favorite restaurant for the two of them. The chef made special courses just for them and afterwards, they took several spins on the dance floor to slow, romantic tunes by Knight and Nyle and other artists. Serenity felt like she was in a dream from which she never wanted to awake.