Chapter 8

"Holy shit. Is that you on television Ren?"

Serenity frowned at Kara and rubbed her head, feeling the onslaught of a tension headache coming on. "What are you talking about?"

"I'm serious Ren, look! You're on television!"

Kara ran into the living-room and turned the television up full blast. Serenity agitatedly sighed and followed her; then stopped and stared aghast at her image on the screen. There was a live shot of her and Tristan rushing past the girls at the front of the hotel the night before with Brad. Serenity rapidly blinked and her hand flew to her lips as she watched the live coverage. Her heart pounded with adrenaline at the intimate video of her and Tristan together. Where the hell had the camera-men been? She hadn't seen anyone but the fans out there. Then again she was so wild with lust at the time she probably wouldn't have noticed King Kong storming through the building. She hoped and prayed it wouldn't turn her life into a circus.

Serenity and Kara's eyes both zeroed in on the female Entertainment News reporter as she excitedly shared the information with her viewing public.

"Looks like pop star heartthrob Tristan Knight is at it again," she said with a wide grin. "After a concert run in Charlotte, NC Tristan was spotted going into a luxury hotel with an unidentified female. Onlookers who were at the hotel indicated Tristan and the mystery beauty were locked away in one of the rooms all night and did not emerge until late this morning. But Tristan didn't stop there. This afternoon following a sound check at Omni Arena Coliseum in Atlanta GA, where Knight and Nyle's next concert is taking place later today, Tristan was spotted going into yet another hotel with another stunning young woman, this time a curvaceous blonde."

Serenity's heart swelled with pain as she watched Tristan and the woman in question rushing past several reporters and camera-men, trying in vain to shield their faces as Brad and two other burly bodyguards rushed them inside the hotel. Nausea bubbled in her stomach and rose to her chest and she weakly swallowed, pushing the contents of her morning breakfast down.

"No one can accuse Mr. Knight of being low on energy that's for sure," the vivacious reporter slickly continued.

Serenity's eyes flooded with tears as the lead reporter and two of her female colleagues got into a frisky discussion about Tristan, how good-looking he was, and how much they would love an opportunity to be his latest conquest.

Serenity grabbed her stomach and stared blindly at the television, her knees weak and trembling as she tried in vain to convince herself she hadn't seen what she'd just seen. It had to be a mistake. It couldn't be what they were trying to make it out to be. He couldn't be that callous, that thoughtless; that heartless. Not after he'd been so sweet and giving to her last night. He couldn't be.

Kara grabbed the remote off the coffee table and fixed her hard eyes on Serenity, cringing slightly at the raw pain in her best friend's eyes. She soberly shook her head and walked over to her, putting her hands against Serenity's arms as she spoke.

"See?" she softly began. "What did I tell you? You were just another piece of ass to him Ren. Just that quick, he's on to someone else. Last night meant nothing to him. Not a damn thing."

Serenity glared at Kara and tried to pull away from her but Kara held strong to her arms. "Leave me alone Kara," Serenity seethed through her teeth. "Let me go."

"Ren, listen to me. Last night may've been fun. May've been passionate. It may have been all you've ever dreamed of and more. But it wasn't worth it. Listen to me. You know I love you. I wish you hadn't had sex with him. He wasn't worth it. Don't you see that now?"

Serenity wiggled free of Kara and stormed back into the dining-room on shaky legs. She yanked her purse off the table and walked through the kitchen, to the back door. She opened it and went out, slamming the door shut behind her.