Chapter 12

Nyle quietly assessed his longtime friend for a moment

Nyle quietly assessed his longtime friend for a moment. "You want to tell me what's wrong man?"

Tristan turned towards him, pointing to the door. "Those little fuckers are assholes man. They know they only have an hour for sound check; they know that! In every city we've played they've gone over their time by fifteen minutes. They do the shit on purpose; I know they do. I told you we should've dropped them from the roster ten cities ago. But no, Jason wants to hold them to the contract because they bring a more "varied" audience in. Fuck that contract! Those mother-fuckers need to go!"

"Tristan, you know what's eating you has nothing to do with those guys," Nyle patiently told him. "They're young knuckleheads man. So were we when we first started out."

"Yeah and when we toured with Fresh Blood they read us the riot act too, and we listened. That's how you get far in this business; respecting the people who give you an opportunity to shine. They're an ungrateful group of tyrants!"

Nyle was silent. "So what's her name?"

Tristan blinked at him. "What?"

"The girl that's got your nuts in a bunch. What's her name?"

Tristan waved him off. "Aw Nyle, this doesn't have anything to do with a bitch man. I told you those guys-"

"Tristan," Nyle knowingly said, raising an eyebrow at him. "You haven't been the same since Charlotte. What happened?"

Tristan hedged and swung his arms back and forth, avoiding Nyle's intense gaze. "Nothing happened."

"This has something to do with that girl on the news doesn't it? The one Jason was screaming with you on the phone about?"

"Nyle, it's been over a week since Charlotte-"

"And you haven't been the same since. So who is she?"

Tristan gnawed his lip. "What makes you think it's about a girl?"

Nyle wisely smirked at him. "Because I know you man. We've been friends since we were kids. And the only other time I've seen you go ape shit like this about something minor was when we were in middle school and Lucy Valentine cheated on you with the quarterback of the football team. You damn near lost your mind for three months. So yeah, I know your routine and I know how you are when you're really digging someone. So what happened?"

Tristan walked over to one of the easy chairs in the room and flopped in it, rubbing his eyes. He threw his arms behind his head and gnawed his lip again, brooding.

"We tell each-other everything but you've been strangely quiet about this. What happened T?"

Tristan heavily sighed. "A lot."

"Could you be a little more forthcoming?"

Tristan helplessly sighed. "I don't know man. I can't explain it. I don't understand it myself. I've never felt anything like it."