Chapter 20

He hung up before she did

He hung up before she did. Serenity sat staring at the phone, wishing she could call him back. Wishing she could beg him to come back and take her on the road with him. But she knew that was impossible. What the fuck had she been thinking hooking up with a pop star? Especially one as famous as him? What they were doing was reckless and could only end one way: With her heart broken.

She startled when Walter lowered the glass partition, peering scrupulously at her through the rearview mirror. Had he heard her?

"Do you need to stop somewhere else before you go home Ms. Harris?"

Serenity anxiously searched the attractive older man with gray hair's eyes but saw no signs of horror or disapproval. Those windows must really be sound proof. Thank God.

"No Walter, I'm fine, thank you," she said with a pleasant smile.

Walter gave her a friendly smile in return and raised the glass back up. Tristan had hired Walter through an independent limousine service he knew about in Charlotte. He was her unofficial driver and "personal assistant." Tristan had given him explicit orders to be on call for Serenity whenever she needed. Serenity was dying to know how much Tristan had paid him but knew better than to ask. Walter was a nice enough man, very quiet and respectful. He was also much, much older. Serenity knew Tristan had requested an older gentleman on purpose. It was crazy that he wasn't trying to have a commitment with her but was still too insecure and jealous to trust her to be alone with a man he felt might tempt her into betraying him.

She rolled her eyes at the irony and scanned the bags of groceries on the seat opposite her. She and Walter had just come from the grocery store and she hadn't spent much of the money Tristan had given her but she still felt ashamed at how much it had cost. She wasn't used to spending that much on groceries. She also had over three-thousand dollars in cash in her purse. And that was just for starters. Tristan said he'd wire her more money in the next couple of weeks. She still wasn't sure how to feel about that.

But at least she was able to get some groceries and other household necessities. Someone was coming tomorrow to fix the air conditioner and Tristan had already paid for that too. And he had called their landlord and taken care of the rent for the next nine months.

Before leaving, he had casually mentioned possibly getting a place in Charlotte. Serenity tried to suppress her excitement at that thought. They still didn't have an official title but at least she knew she was more than a bootie call. They had an easy familiarity to one another and had eased into the title of babe, baby, sweetie, honey... They had spent their three uninterrupted days together making love, ordering out, watching mindless television, and talking about nothing in particular. She couldn't say they'd gotten to know one another that much better, despite the honest talk they'd had about Kara, her mother, and his parents. Most of the time all he talked about was his career and the band. He asked her what she wanted to do with her life and she said she was still figuring it out.