Chapter 30

"Hi-Hi Mom," he croaked out.

"You sound funny," she said in her soft-spoken northern twang. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine," he unconvincingly said.

"You don't sound fine." She paused. "It's after two o clock in the morning son. I find it hard to believe you're calling just to say hi."

"Well, I miss you."

"Okay. I miss you too. But..."

He started talking before he could stop himself.

"I met somebody." He closed his eyes and slapped his head.

Stupid. Stupid. Where the hell had that come from?

"You met someone," his mom repeated with confusion in her voice.

Hesitating briefly, Tristan shakily answered his mother, who up to a month ago, had been the only constant woman in is his life. "Yeah. A girl."

His mother paused briefly. There was excitement in her voice when she spoke. "Are you telling that you met someone that you like? Like, romantically?:"

He couldn't help smiling. "Yeah."

"Like, like her, like her?"

He nodded. "Yes Ma. And I..." He struggled to say what his heart was pushing him to say. His mind was warning him to be quiet but he couldn't help it. "And I want you to meet her."

His mother's voice danced with emotion as she repeated his words. "You want me to meet her? Face to face?"

"I do."

"Well, I'll be damned. After all these years, my son finally met someone good enough to bring home to Mama."

He coyly smiled. "How about that."

"Well, who is she? What's her name? How long have you known her? Why haven't I heard about her before? Is she a fan, someone in the industry or were you set up-"

Tristan couldn't help laughing. "Mom, slow down. I'll tell you all of that later, I promise."

"Well, can you tell me her name at least?"

His heart danced as he said her name. "Serenity," he exhaled, feeling lighter. "Her name is Serenity."

She paused again. "That's a beautiful name. I can imagine she's beautiful as well."

"She is Mom. So beautiful she takes my breath away."

He could hear his mother softly gasp and knew she was beyond excited that her only son had finally met someone he was interested in beyond a quick hit and miss. In all his years of teenage hood and impending adulthood he'd never brought a girl home, mentioned a girl by name or talked about anyone with interest.

His mom was not naive nor was she stupid. She knew how her son was. He was his father's son times ten and she had warned him numerous times that if he didn't slow down, his wild ways were going to catch up with him in the worst way. So he knew she was overjoyed that he might be finally... God, dare he think it? Settling down?

Oh, hell naw. They weren't even two months in yet.

Slow down stupid.

Fuck, this shit was driving him insane.

"Well, when do I get to meet this beautiful girl with the beautiful name?" his mother pressed.

"Soon Mom. Soon, I promise." He paused, feeling anxious again. "I'll call you tomorrow afternoon before the show and talk more. I just wanted to give you a heads up."