31. Lights and delight

Chapter track-

Can I have this dance- Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens

(A semi-edited chapter)

______________________________________________________________________

Neil

"Dude, you've got to stop hovering over the mirror," Rohan states in his ever-so-lazy voice. "If only it had some magical effects of speaking, it would've cried out a hundred times that you look good."

"It's easy for you to say." I sigh trying to fix my hair. "You look good already with so little effort and I look like crap."

"You look good, not lying."

As in every other school, the farewell party of the 12th standard is organized by the 11th-standard students and as unnecessarily extravagant as the school is, the boys are precisely told to wear tuxedos. I would've happily dodged the party if it wasn't for the sake of my girlfriend. But once I donned the tux, my confidence has started to drain out, for it is my first time wearing one in front of Bianca.

"I don't know why, but damn! I feel nervous." I say, responding to the reflection of Rohan who is resting comfortably on my bed. "I wonder why you aren't worried about creases being formed right now on your clothes."

"I don't care." He replies, running his fingers over his well-trimmed hair. "I don't have a girlfriend to impress."

"What about Sia?"

"She's not my girlfriend." He widens his eyes with shock.

"Yeah, but you like her."

"N.. no. That's everything but true." He scoffs, but his facial expressions are clearly showing how hard he is trying to hide how he is actually feeling. "And I wonder where that statement came from."

"Ask that to your actions," I smirk. "The way your face lights up when she's around."

"That doesn't even make sense. She's already seeing someone, Dorjee? Isn't it?"

"Ha! See, you do take notice of her. That relationship isn't even official yet and you already know." I remark, turning around to look at him. "But don't you worry Rohan. Whatever that's happening between her and that boy, I'm sure it's anything but serious, at least from Sia's side. She's only excited about the idea of dating and Dorjee just seems to have crossed the path she'd been curious to walk."

"Whatever, man." He stands up staring at his watch. "Now you've got to let go of that mirror if you want to be present at the party."

"Yeah, right." I turn back to look at the mirror, still unsatisfied with the way I'm looking.

......

The gang decided to leave for the venue altogether, so we agreed to meet up at Sia's place by 4 pm. And because Rohan, Aahana, and Maya stay a bit far from our neighborhood, Rohan had to come early and get ready at my place where as Maya and Aahana ended up at Sia's while Penzo offered to share his ride with us to the venue. Our group is indeed turning into a gang.

"Stop doing that!" Rohan complains in his whisper as he grabs my knee to stop it from shaking.

"I'm nervous," I whisper back while we wait for the girls to come down to the living room.

"Yeah, I'm surprised." I can make out the rolling of his eyes from his voice itself. "Weren't the tears that aunt Anita shed enough to let you know that you look good?"

"She was just emotional to see me wear her son's Tuxedo."

Thankfully, Bianca's grandparents haven't been bombarding me with too many questions today, they were kind enough to turn their attention back to the TV screen.