8. Distractions and Muse

This chapter is dedicated to Dictamy because she is so sweet, supportive and one of my favourite readers. Please check out her book as well "To love and to leave", it's really good.
__________________________________

Chapter track

500 miles- Justin Timberlake ft Carey Mulligan & Stark Sands
______________________________________

Neil

I didn't intend to stalk Bianca but I couldn't stop myself from following her to the hall.

"Hi, Neil," Rohan says as he notices my presence.

"Hi," I reply.

Bianca doesn't utter a word. She's just staring at me with a frown.

Her reaction doesn't surprise me anymore so I don't walk away this time.

Although I'm not ready to reopen the darkest chapters of my life, I take a chance. Live performance is the last thing I need right now, but here I am-- seeking an opportunity to share a stage with a girl I barely know.

"You've got a beautiful voice," I say, but those lips are still not moving .

Rohan might have sensed the awkwardness, so he slightly nudged her, awakening her to reality.

She clears her throat and tucks the loose strands of hair behind her ears.

"Thank you." She says, hesitating and avoiding my gaze.

I'm now actually very fond of the nervousness she holds whenever I'm around. It's definitely weird but I like it anyway.

"May I join you as well?" I say moving forward.

"Sure. That would be great." Rohan says with a hint of enthusiasm. "Would you.. mind singing for me right now, so that I can figure out what song would be good for your vocals?"

"I'd love that." As soon as I say that, the bell rings.

"So, let's meet up tomorrow?" He says, standing up.

"Sure."

****

I've been enjoying the vernacular classes like never before, not because of the teacher but my bench partner-- Bianca.

Unlike our English classes, the Hindi classes are free from Sia who has an unknown ability of turning even the little conversation with Bianca into a very awkward situation and Penzo--her disturbing so called ex boyfriend--who just won't leave her alone for a second and that makes me very angry for some reason. I know I'm not supposed to be so possessive about it so I helped myself to act a bit mature eventually.

I usually just gaze at her whenever I get the opportunity and she ignores me like I'm not even visible which isn't the case with Penzo.

I wish she could atleast appreciate my presence sometimes, or, does she hate me?

I'm definitely turning into a nutcase, but it doesn't matter to me anymore and it's not like she never checks me out, I've seen her doing that several times, including the first time we met. I'm so damn confused.

****

My cellphone buzzes inside my pocket and as I hoped, its my mother.

"Hello."

"Yeah, mum."

"How are you, Neil?"

"I'm good. How are you and.." I pause for a bit. "dad?"