1. Change

Chapter track
Unwritten - Natasha Bedingfield
______________________________________

Bianca

June 2011

I love the silent conversations with the wind, overwhelming me with its excitement as it plays along with my long tangled hair. I love it when I don't need to think for an explanation to provide the stranger passerby, the flora or the fauna as they don't expect one, even when I invade their privacy--my eyes all over them. Oh, how much I love staying quiet and feed my eyes with the moving scenario! How much I love traveling on trains!

Only if the upcoming scenario was something else--

As I stand by the entrance of the long blue vehicle, I try my hardest to muster up some courage and take a step. After all, it isn't going to be a simple journey that consists of a relaxing vacation with my loved ones, it's different, almost a new beginning.

After I finally hop in, I'm followed by Sia and Uncle Sanjeev, who are helping me with my luggage.

I slowly walk past the narrow path towards our cabin and sit down by the window to see my Mom and my eight-year-old brother Aviral who are standing by a bookstall at a distance.

There is a wide smile pasted on her lips but it isn't really comforting me, as her eyes are all red, puffy and brimmed with fresh tears. The sight is only making my heart sink deeper and every ounce of my being is dying to run towards her and just give up, but being a coward is the last thing I need right now. I have to be brave.

I don't want to show the signs of having cold feet either, so I blink away my tears and biting my lower lip I force a courageous smile. Although the window is providing a very limited view of the surrounding, my eyes are still searching through the hustle and bustle of the crowd to find my dad. He is the one who quietly drove us here to the station and suddenly decided to vanish into thin air. I'm sure that he's literally weeping somewhere, obviously not delighted to wave me off but all I want right now is to at least have a glimpse of him before I leave.

My parents. I wonder if everyone else's parent are as dramatic as they are or do I look just too sensitive to take lightly?

Being a teenager is easy for nobody, the sudden changes in you brings along all different challenges, like, everyday. For instance, a mere pimple is enough to drive you crazy. The smooth baby skin can turn into a rough patch in no time and the itchy pain just can't be described enough.

But in my case, I'm dealing with something else.

As they say--"too much of a good thing is a bad thing"--turned out to be exactly related to me. I've had everything a girl would ever want, or maybe even more. I've been provided with so much attention and protection that I turned into a complete introvert as the only person I hang around the most is either my family or just my loneliness. I don't know how to socialize, like, I can count the number of friends in one hand and there will still be a few fingers remaining. And that scares the hell out of me because as much as I enjoy my own company, I don't want to remain like this forever. I want to have some adventure and be prepared to face the world as an adult but I'm absolutely sure that as long as I'm around my parents, that's impossible.

Few things needed to be rearranged for a while, so be it, although I know that it isn't going to be as easy. So, taking a safer side, I chose to start my new story, in the place where everything started, the place where I was born and spent a few of my childhood years.

Both my parents are from Sikkim. They got married, had me and left for Kolkata when I was like seven, while my grandparents, Uncle and his family chose to stay back in Gangtok, at the old family house, my new home.