Epilogue - As free as a bird

A few weeks passes by...

Y/n pov:

I walked around the house, which was now fully decorated by me.
I walked from the living room and out to the balcony on the second floor.

On the balcony, was a bird cage, with three small birds flying around.

Xiao and I had decided a while ago that there would be no kids in our relationship. None of us were ready for that, and I already had to take care of one big baby so another one would just be a bother for me.

Besides Miko always giving hints that she wants another fox in our small family, Zhongli was totally against the idea.

However we had bought some birds from Inazuma and took care of them to have a change in our daily life.

I walked over to the small cage door and unlocked it. I watched as the three birds flew into the air and out on the beach.

My ears wiggled as I heard the birds chirp as they flew around the beach.

The first time me and Xiao decided to let the birds out of the cage was when we started feeling bad for them being locked up. We wanted to let them out and let them be free, but for some reason they never left our area.

I leaned on the fence and smiled.
All of a sudden I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist from behind, and he rested his head on my shoulder and watched the birds with me.

After a few minutes of silence and us watching the birds, they flew back towards our house and sat down on the roof.

I then had a random question coming to mind and decided to ask Xiao, "Have you ever had wings?"

Xiao didn't seem that surprised by the question, and instead chuckled. "Maybe, maybe not." He simply said.

I felt bothered by that answer, "Ahw, come on tell me!" I chuckled slightly.

He then laughs along with me, "Let's assume I did. How do you imagine them?" He asked me.

I chuckled as I either thought of long beautiful orange feathers or just simple small chicken wings.

He caught me laughing, "Hey, don't imagine anything weird now." He said. He continued by saying, "If I ever did have wings, I think they would've reminded you of a vermilion bird." He said.

"So you did have wings?" I asked again.

He hummed in response. "Maybe, maybe not." He said again, repeating his earlier response.

I sighed, "You're not gonna tell me?" I asked him with a sad expression.

He shook his head, "Oh god no, who knows where your imagination would have brought you if you knew the answer." He said. I chuckled, he's right.

I then had another random question pop up in my head, "Xiao, if we ever had kids and we 'assume' you have had vermilion wings... do you think our kid would have the appearance of a vermilion bird or a kitsune?" I asked him. I was generally curious.

He seemed to actually think about it, but then put a scowl on his face. "I think it would be a rat."

"A what?" I said with a dumbfounded expression.

"A rat." He said again, also having a dumbfounded expression.

I sweat dropped, "Why?" I asked while chuckling.

"Some rats steal territory. If we had a kid, I know it would steal all your attention away. We can't have that." He said with a scowl.

"Ahw, you would be jealous of your own kid..." I teased and stroked his hair between my fingers.

I heard the birds chirp again and looked towards them. All three of them simply flew back into their cage.

Me and Xiao looked at them for a moment, I then got out of Xiao's arms and walked to the cage. I closed the small cage door.

"Why are they acting like that?" Xiao asked.

I shrugged, "Miko says that most birds in Inazuma are very loyal to the people who treat them right." I answered him. "Maybe they see our home as their home, isn't that cute?" I said with a close eyed smile towards Xiao.

I opened my eyes and looked at a Xiao who simply smiled at me.

His eyes wandered to inside of the house where the timepiece was hanging on the wall.

I looked over to the timepiece as well.

"Hm..." I hummed.

"It's time then." He said and walked inside, I walked right after him.

He took the upper layer of his hanfu on and tied it nicely, after he had fixed up his hair, his gloves and the small amount of accessories he was wearing, he went outside to the balcony again.

I changed out of my hanfu and into the kimono I got from Miko. I changed accessories and my hairstyle to my liking.

After I was done I also walked outside to the balcony to bid farewell to Xiao.

Xiao was standing on the fence, but when I arrived he kneeled down so he was closer to my height.

He used one of his hands and cupped my cheek. He brought my face closer to his and our noses brushed together, both of our eyes were closed.

After a few seconds I spoke, "So, Aether, Kazuha, Itto, Thoma and Heizou are the guys you're going to meet with?" I asked.

He nodded, "Yes." I sighed, "It's so weird to see you meeting people from Inazuma as well..." I said. "But I'm glad you're meeting them of course."

He chuckled, "And who were you meeting up with?" Xiao asked me.

I chuckled as I thought about the funny time I was going to have with my sister and my girl friends. "Miko, Beidou, Ningguang, Yelan, Ganyu and Keqing." I said.

Xiao nodded. We stared into each other's eyes for a moment before he sighed.

"I don't want to leave you..." He whispered sweetly.

I chuckled and placed my hand over the one he had on my face, I brushed my fingers against his. "You'll see me in 24 hours..." I whispered back in the same sweet tone that he used.

He smiled, "Yes... I already can't wait..." Xiao whispered back.

A smile appeared on my face and I tried not to chuckle. Why are we whispering?? I thought with a lovesick smile.

When he was finally ready to separate, he took his hand away from me.

"I'll see you at the altar." Xiao said.

And then he teleported away before he changed his mind about separating from me for 24 hours.

I jumped over the fence and landed in the sand. I walked towards the ocean and calmly walked across, making my way towards the Jade Chamber for my bachelorette party.

————————————————————————