Kabanata 46

Kabanata 46

Icarus

I knew her, and I hadn't met her yet.

Sunny Vega was the favorite topic of La Fortuna's entire male population. Kahit saan ako magpunta, bukambibig siya ng mga kalalakihang nakakasalamuha ko. I was well aware of her wild and unconventional adventures. At first, it was bearable because, as sexist as it may sound, this was what bachelors in this town did — talk about women's bodies like they're objects.

I heard she crashed one of her flings' sports cars once. I heard Levi Suarez was almost disowned by his father for going after her. Rumor had it that he wanted her despite the negative implications she could bring to his family's lily-white reputation. 

What a stupid boy, that Levi Suarez. Yes, the term 'boy' suited him best. A man would not desperately chase a woman to the point of being disowned by his father. Ako, hinding-hindi ko iyon gagawin. Besides, that was not how it usually went with my affairs with women. I never pursued a woman in my entire life.

I focused on my work, studies, and business, and women just naturally came to me like moths drawn to a flame.

I was sure that whoever this Sunny Vega was, she was not as exciting, mesmerizing, and spell-binding as she sounded. Hindi ba ganiyan naman kadalasan ang nangyayari sa mga sabi-sabi? Rumors are always exaggerated — for how else would they spread? Stories like hers needed to be unique, almost impossible, and always straight out of a man's dirty fantasy.

"Ico Benavidos, right? I'm Sunny Vega."

Nagsitayuan ang mga balahibo ko nang marinig ang kaniyang boses. I had heard about how silky and sweet she sounded. But damn. Damn.

Her voice... it was just too feminine and tempting. The honey-like sound that came out of her mouth traveled from my spine to my groin, spreading a rush of warmth all over my nerve endings. Napaayos ako ng upo.

What the fucking hell?

And don't even get me started with that angel-like face of hers. I was told she was like a drug. But no one told me she was the most addicting kind. 

"I know you," I said casually.

I know you, and I know how much you like to flirt with men with prestigious lineages. I heard about you, every time I came to the club, every time there was a party, every time I went to my father's properties. I have been told about your escapades, vital statistics, French kisses, make-out sessions, and road accidents. I know you. And I will not be one of your boy toys.

Hindi ko tinanggap ang kamay niyang nakalahad kaya ibinaba niya iyon. The slightest flicker of disappointment passed across her sweet face. I hated how I almost backpedalled and apologized for not giving her the attention she wanted.

"Paano mo ako nakilala?"

"You're the girl who likes crashing sports cars that aren't even yours."

 "Correction, sports car. Isa lang 'yon."

"As if that would change the fact that you're a bad driver."

She was onto me, and I did not take it as a compliment. Ibig sabihin no'n ay iniisip niyang katulad ako ng ng mga kalalakihang halos baliin ang kanilang prinsipyo para sa kaniya. 

She probably thought I was an easy target, or that I was the kind of man who would not be able to decline a little temptation, skimpy red dress, and cleavage.

"I would never like a woman like you," I told her after she drove me to the summer house. 

It was not my proudest moment, but it had to be said. A wall should be built as early as now. I needed precaution because the last thing I wanted was to be involved with her. Isa pa, alam kong wala akong mapapala sa kaniya.