Kabanata 47

Kabanata 47

Never

"What happened here?" I coldly asked when I arrived at the Italian restaurant where my congratulations party was being held.

Walang nagsalita. Taliwas sa masiyahing musikang maririnig sa kabuuan ng lugar, masalimuot naman ang ere ng mga panauhin. Natagpuan ng aking mga mata si Annie na kinakausap ang receptionist. She gave me a furious glare. Mas lalong kumunot ang aking noo.

Naglakad palapit sa akin si Dad, matigas ang ekspresyon at halatang sira ang araw. Dismayado siyang umiling bago ipinatong ang kaniyang kamay sa aking balikat. 

"Sunny Vega was here," he said solemnly.

Irritation prickled across my shoulders. I gritted my teeth at how degrading he mentioned Sunny's name. Para bang may nakakahawa siyang sakit para iwasan nila ng ganito.

"What did you do?" I accused, my hand balling into a fist.

"I did what I had to, son."

The anger I felt was automatic, visceral, and unquestionable. Not that it was inexistent in the first place. I always had this fury reserved only for my father. Naghihintay iyon at naghahanap ng rason. It was like a scream caught in my throat. 

And, right now, that was all I wanted to do: scream at him with all of me. Hindi lang para sa ginawa niya kay Sunny, kung hindi pati na rin sa ginawa niya kay Mommy, sa amin ni Monty, at sa mga taong-bayan. 

"Come on, son, don't worry about that whore. Enjoy your party."

Akmang igigiya niya ako papunta sa harap nang kalasin ko ang kaniyang akbay sa akin. The guards immidiately rushed to his sides, ready to hurt me at his command.

"What did you do?" I repeated, partly because he did not explain anything to me, and partly because I wanted him to think about what he was about to say next.

His eyes pierced through me, stoic and unforgiving like he always was. "I told her to leave. Hindi siya nararapat dito. Ni wala siyang imbitasyon."

I saw red. 

I didn't even know how that expression was coined and minted, but I guess it was true. Kapag pala sobrang galit ka na, pula na lang ang makikita mo. I could feel my whole body shaking with anger. 

"Why the hell would you fucking do that? She's my girlfriend!" 

Kaagad akong hinawakan at ipinirmi ng mga guwardiya. My heart sank to my stomach when I thought about how my father made Sunny leave this place. Did these guards also restrain her like this? The idea of her being touched without her consent intensified my fury.

Oh, fucking hell. 

I kicked the guard on my left and snatched my arm back. I grabbed the other guard's arm and twisted it before pushing him away from me. Fucking annoying. Wala sa schedule ko ngayon ang mambugbog.

"Girlfriend? She's not your anything, Icarus! You're going to get married soon!" Dad's eyes were bloodshot. Malalim ang kaniyang paghinga na tila ba nagtitimpi.

"Married? When did I ever agree to that?"

"I told you many times over the phone!"

"And I told you many times I am not interested!"

Lumapit siya sa akin upang mahinahon akong tignan. "Hindi ko kailangan ng pagsang-ayon mo, anak. I informed you for the sake of formality. Your agreement was final the moment this arrangement was decided."

"Hindi niyo ho ako pagmamay-ari," I firmly said, making his composure collapse. 

"Anak kita kaya susundin mo ang gusto ko! Ako ang nagpalaki sa 'yo! Kung hindi dahil sa akin, sa tingin mo ba maaabot mo 'yang mga pangarap mo? I fed and clothed you! I gave you the opportunities you needed! You owe me your whole life!"