Kabanata 10

Kabanata 10

Blame

"Anong ginagawa mo rito?"

Sa sobrang lapit ng mukha ko kay Ico ay nalalanghap ko na ang hanging binubuga niya. It was the kind of distance that could be a prelude to a kiss. Kumalampog ang puso ko kasi baka nga mangyari 'yon. Baka nga maghalikan kami.

"I want to apologize," he said.

My brows furrowed because he didn't even look sorry. Madilim pa rin ang tingin niya at kulang na lang nga'y pagalitan niya ulit ako. Tsk. Ganito ba siya humingi ng tawad? Parang ayaw ko siyang patawarin 'pag gan'tong siya pa ang galit!

"You don't look sincere."

He twisted his lips. "I am sincere."

"No you're not," I said and shook my head. "You look like you're only apologizing for yourself." Bumuntong-hininga ako't mataman siyang tinignan. "I want you to mean what you say, Ico. Kasi totoong na-offend mo ako kanina."

He shot up a brow. "You're so assertive. Do you know that?"

"What? And am I not supposed to be like that?"

"No," he promptly replied. "No. I like you like that."

"E ano pang hinihintay mo? Mag-sorry ka na ulit."

Umismid siya't bahagyang lumayo sa 'kin. Guminhawa ang pakiramdam ko nang nagka-distansya na sa pagitan namin. Being close to him wasn't this nerve-wracking before. Now my throat tightens and my heart skips a beat whenever he's near.

He licked his lower lip and took a deep breath as if apologizing to me was a matter of life and death. Noon pa man ay pansin ko nang hindi siya mahilig humingi ng pasensya. Why would he ever apologize, anyway?

He was Icarus Benavidos; the governor's son, an excellent med-student, and—this was putting it nicely—ball-gagging, cock-sucking, jaw-dropping sexy, rich, and beautiful of a human being! If there was anything that he should apologize for, it was for being that fucking gifted. Ang unfair! Sumusobra na talaga ang biyaya niya!

"I'm sorry, Sunny Vega," he lagged so that he could see my reaction. Blangko ko lamang siyang tinignan. "I wasn't my best self earlier because I was never a fan of the ranch nor any of our properties. And honestly, I also don't like your crowd."

Umawang ang labi ko. "Akala ko ba, magso-sorry ka?"

"Oo nga. Teka lang." He made a face. "I'm getting there, okay?"

"Then you better hurry because I don't have all the time in the world!"

I was lying, of course. Pumunta lang naman ako do'n para mag-relax at manghingi ng libreng alak mula kay Sextus. Speaking, I took a glance at him and his friends over Ico's shoulder and saw that he was intently watching us. Sumimsim siya sa rocks glass niya nang magtama ang mga mata namin at saka tipid na ngumisi. I glanced back at Ico when he continued.

"Nag-aalala lang ako sa 'yo kasi ang dami mong pinagkakaabalahan. I'm already offering you a shit-ton of money yet you're still working your ass off on your gimmicks when what you need to work on is being my girlfriend."

Nagsalubong ang kilay ko. "Nangarera lang ako, nagkulang na 'ko agad bilang girlfriend mo?"

"You're making me worry." He frowned. "If you're a good girlfriend, you won't do that to your boyfriend."

I crossed my arms over my chest and leered at him. "Well, excuse me, but I'm allowed to do what the hell I want to do. Labas ka na do'n!"

"You're doing barrel racing at eighteen, Sunny. Alam mo ba kung anong mga aksidente ang pwedeng mangyari sa 'yo habang nangangarera ka?" tumaas ang boses niya. "The last thing I want is you being rushed in the hospital because you broke your limbs in doing 'what the hell you wanted to do'."