Kabanata 49

Kabanata 49

Whore

Inakay ko si Sunny patungong kotse. Her body was like jelly, melting the longer we stayed here at the sea wall. While carrying her to the car, I couldn't help but notice how small and fragile she was in my arms. I could snuff the life out of her if I wanted to.

Poor baby.

I fastened her seatbelt. Sinubukan niyang tapikin paalis ang kamay ko pero wala na siyang sapat na lakas upang mapagtagumpayan iyon. Even in her weakest moment, she was still putting up a fight. This girl's spirit was really something else.

Ibinaba ko ng ilang pulgada ang kaniyang bintana at saka inayos ang buhok niyang bahagyang nagulo. "Tell me if you feel like vomiting, okay?"

Her eyes glued to the Chevy parked beside my car. "'Yong Chevy, Ico," nag-aalala niyang sabi bago ako nilingon. "Ako na lang ang magd-drive sa sarili ko. Hindi ko pwedeng iwan 'yong Chevy dito."

My eyes sparkled in amusement. "You really love that car, huh?" I lifted a reassuring smile when our eyes met. "I'll take care of it later, tell one of Atlas' men to drive it back to our place or something."

"Pupunta ba tayo sa ospital?"

My brow shot up. "And what? Let another doctor take care of you when I can do so?"

When she gave me a death glare, I realized how stupid I was to say that. This was not the time to let my ego get the best of me.

Napahinga ako ng malalim. "I will book us a decent place and stay with you for the night. Don't worry, love. You're going to be fine," I assured in a soft tone, caressing her cheek before driving.

"Anong problema sa motel?"

"It's dirty. They probably haven't changed their mattresses for years."

I glanced at Sunny and saw her leaning her head on the car window. Her lips were starting to pale, and her chest was heaving up and down at a quicker pace.

I've dealt with patients with severe, fatal illnesses. Though, oddly enough, seeing Sunny sick was a different case. Hindi naman ako kadalasang nag-aalala sa puntong parang lalabas na ang puso ko sa aking dibdib. I was always level-headed.

Sunny just worried me so much. She looked strong on the outside, but aren't those the kind of people we must look out for the most? We never really know when they are going to break.

"Bakit mo ba talaga ako sinundan dito?" tanong niya sa napapaos na boses.

Nang sulyapan ko siya saglit ay napansin kong nakapikit ang kaniyang mga mata. Was she having a fever dream?

Whatever it was, I got a feeling she didn't really know what she was saying, like she was blurting things out without much thought and inhibition.

"Sinira mo pa ang pagmumuni-muni ko. Sana nanatili ka na lang sa La Fortuna upang asikasuhin ang engagement niyo ni Aria. Pupunta pa raw kayong England. Anong plano niyo roon?"

I twisted my lips in amusement. So she's an emotional talker when she's sick? Fucking adorable.

"Sana 'wag kayong mag airplane sex kasi nakakainsulto 'yon sa 'kin kahit hindi ko naman talaga malalaman. I thought that was our thing. But then I also thought you were an honest man, so I guess I will never really know with you."

Kahit alam kong posibleng hindi niya maalala ang mga sinasabi niya ngayon sa akin, hindi ko pa rin mapigilang pabulaanan ang mga iyon. I wanted her to know she mattered to me... more than she would ever know.

"I don't like Aria," I said gently but with conviction. "It's either you or no one else, Sunny."

I knew she heard me, but it seemed like she couldn't digest any information in her current state. Involuntarily, my mouth stretched for a small smile.