Kabanata 25

Kabanata 25

Safe Haven

Umawang ang labi ko nang marinig 'yon mula sa kaniya. Bakit ba pinipilit niyang pinag-iisipan ko siya ng masama gayong siya 'yong palaging nanghuhusga sa 'kin? I don't understand his logic, and the way he's pushing his claim on me was honestly offending!

"No, Ico," I disagreed with conviction. "You're the one who's always thinking the worst of me. You even called me a whore before."

He remained stoic, then calmly, he said, "I already apologized for that. I know I was wrong to call you names."

"Names?" I scoffed. "It wasn't just 'names' for me. At oo, nag-sorry ka. Ngunit hindi ibig-sabihin na kapag napatawad na kita, nakalimutan ko na rin 'yong sinabi mo. You made me feel like shit. At ni wala kang disenteng rason."

Now that the tables have turned, his stern face got swept over by a guilty expression. Matalino siya. He knew what was right and wrong. Matuwid din ang prinsipyo niya. He's well-off, educated, intelligent. So how could he call me such a cheap, slanderous word?

Alam ko namang wala akong karapatang mag-inarte pero nagiging hipokrito na siya, e. But then again, who was I to demand? Who was I to keep a fucking record of his mistakes? I wasn't sinless myself.

"You were with Sextus," he reminded me. "Nabastos ka ng mga kaibigan niya pero kinakausap mo pa rin siya. You were touchy with him and..." Pinasadahan niya ng mga daliri ang buhok niya. "I didn't like it."

"You not liking my action doesn't give you the right to degrade me. Alam mo ba kung ano parati ang pinaparamdam mo sa 'kin?"

My breathing was slow yet heavy. May iilang tao pa rin sa loob ng court kaya pilit kong kinalma ang sarili ko. I wasn't shouting because I didn't want to argue with him, or at least make it seem like we were.

Ang ganda pa ng simula ng araw namin. We were getting along well and I was happy that the ice surrounding him was starting to melt. Ayokong mainis, but he's seriously being a douche right now!

A sarcastic smile rose on my lips. "You always make me feel like I owe you something, Ico. You look at me like you're someone I could never reach." When his jaw clenched, I knew then that I hit a point. "Bakit? Is it the status? Is it the personality? O sadyang kailanman, hindi tayo magiging pwede sa isa't-isa?"

"I'm sorry," he said sincerely after a pause.

Bumuntong-hininga siya bilang pagsuko. He took a step forward and hugged me. My breathing hitched, and somehow, tears formed at the sides of my eyes. Napagtanto ko sa loob ng mainit at kumportable niyang yakap na ayaw kong nagiging ganito kami. Ayokong nag-aaway kami. Why were we even fighting in the first place, e ang babaw-babaw lang naman ng topiko namin?

Whatever relationship we had, I wanted it to be a good one—a refuge, a solace, a home. I didn't need any more bullets fired, mistakes dug out, and fingers pointed. My life was already a warzone, and I think that's already enough.

He stroked my hair affectionately, as if realizing how futile our little row was and now making up for it through his touch. Kinailangan niyang yumuko ng kaunti dahil sa tangkad niya. My eyes were above his shoulders and I could see some janitors staring at us. I didn't mind. With shaking hands, I hugged him back. Rinig ko ang biglang pagbilis ng pintig ng puso niya.

"I was never good at expressing myself," he admitted. "I look snobbish and mad and angry, and although that night at the country club, I wanted to stop myself from getting jealous, I couldn't. I hated girls like you. You reminded me too much of my mother. You reminded me of someone I would be begging to stay someday."