THE SECRET BASEMENT UNDER THE TEMPLE

Then Mori left the Temple carrying a wooden shrine with the carving of an ugly eyeball inside which I guessed was the Eye of the Seas that he sought to rob from the temple monks.

Sara scanned for radiation on the Eyeball and found nothing.

"Is such a carving worth killing so many people for", I asked myself.

---------

When Mori's men left the island, I looked around the temple for signs of Kay but there were no signs of him in the temple which was fortunate, otherwise, he might have ended up like the corpses of monks strewn everywhere in the temple.

When I was about to leave the temple Sara found energy radiation on a large stone table or altar in the middle of the temple which probably used to house the wooden shrine taken away by Mori, and out of curiosity, I went to check the table.

There was an energy circuitry here that connected the stone table to the back of the temple that ended in a stone-carved pedestal shaped like a frog holding a lantern.

"This is another closed circuit system that we can activate", Sara reminded me.

The energy circuitry setup appeared familiar to the magical pyramid in the desert, so it was possible that this was also some kind of security system which protected something.

I checked the lantern and found a knob of some kind on the pedestal which was probably a switch for something.

I hesitated for a moment because the last time I turned a magical switch on the apex of the pyramid, a Sand Elemental was released, so I might release some dangerous creatures when I turn the knob. But the possibility of danger usually didn't overcome my curiosity and in the worst scenario I could always run, and besides adventures were usually accompanied by some risks.

So, I turned the knob on the pedestal, which connected the magical circuitry.

"Creeackkkk"

Suddenly the stone table in the middle of the Temple slides to one side, which revealed an entrance to a basement below, but luckily for me, I did not release a monster this time.

I went down into the basement and as I climbed the stone stairs the basement lighted up with lamps installed around the chamber.

I found some sort of glass display cabinet that encased an object that looked like the wooden Eye of the Seas Mori took from the Temple.

"This must be the real Eye of the Seas", I told Sara.

I suspected Mori and his gang must have obtained a fake, while the real thing was right in front of me.

I wondered what magical item was that precious when so much effort was taken to conceal it here. Out of curiosity again I planned to study the item inside the glass case in greater detail.

"Swisshhh..swisshh..swisshh"

As I hammered the glass suddenly the entrance to the basement closed itself as bolts were suddenly shot from hidden holes in the walls at me.

I was thrown off guard by the booby trap and some of the bolts pierced into me. Luckily for me I was protected by dragon scale armor, so the bolts didn't go deep and none of my vital parts were damaged, so I merely pulled out the bolts from my body as Sara repaired the wounds with my nano-bots.

I was trapped in the basement while I looked through every nook and corner, yet I couldn't find the switch or knob which could open the entrance which was now protected by a magical forcefield.