THE RAY OF DEATH

THE RAY OF DEATH

After traveling by train to the relevant station in the desert, I rode on a camel toward a mid-sized town in the oasis.

If Kay and I had known of the trains that went through the desert our journey wouldn't have been so long and arduous.

Basically, we skipped the rail tracks altogether. So much for having the Kamini as a tour guide.

As I reached the town, I found the town besieged by a Wind Scorpion and about ten large scorpions and I had a feeling of deja vue like I was experiencing the scene all over again.

It wasn't that long ago that I faced similar scorpions with Magus Cartelle in the town of Abiru. However, Cartelle was gone, and I have changed quite a bit since then.

Before I decided on a plan of action, Melroy the Magus suddenly came out and rushed to the scorpions, with the Dragonslayer from my stash.

"Die you insects", Melroy shouted out to the scorpions as he charged into them.

It seemed Melroy needed the Physical Education as much as I, and he charged blindly without much of a care.

I couldn't complain about Melroy's lack of planning and coordination with me since he was the one who signed the contract with the Hunter's Guild and on paper, he was the captain of our hunt.

Although Melroy had little skill with my lance, he killed all the large scorpions with ease, because his body was indestructible.

"Arhhh, hard work. If I could cast my Rays of Death these insects would be destroyed with just lifting my fingers", Melroy said to me.

"Melroy, must you always be so dramatic?" I asked him.

"I don't know, I just felt so emotional about killing the insects and couldn't control myself", he explained to me.

Perhaps that was the side effect of being dead and surviving with just the soul. It changes people.

"I recommend a movie for you to rewatch, Pet Semetary", Sara suddenly said to me.

Perhaps what Sara said was true. It wasn't always wise to be resurrected from the dead. But Melroy wasn't sinister. He was just funny.

"Huh last one", Melroy said to me as he aimed to kill the Wind Scorpion.

But before he killed the Wind Scorpion, I stopped him, as I shot a Ballista bolt into the scorpion and allowed it to leave.

"I haven't had enough fun", Melroy the Magus spoke and complained to me.

"You'll have more than enough fun later", was my answer to the Magus.

After dealing with the scorpions, we entered the town and reported to the town leader and made him sign a few forms to complete the first part of our mission, and we immediately left the town to finish the second part.

I took out a magic Map and followed the map to a location in the desert where I found an underground cavern, with many scorpions burrowed inside.

The magic Map was a tracking navigator app, and the tracker device was shot into the Wind Scorpion earlier by me. I let the scorpion go so it would lead me here to their nest.

"Did you let the Wind Scorpion go to lead us to their den?" Melroy asked me.

"What else did you think I was doing? Being merciful?" I replied to him.

After Sara did a complete 3D scan of the area and beneath, I threw several Smoke bombs into the underground cavern as smoke filled the cavern and the connected burrows.