Part 19

Red's POV

Lani and I peek out from behind two trees at the small camp in front of us. I see an old man walking around, he has a smile on his face. I see a woman maybe in her 30s walking around with a smile. And I see a little kid, maybe 9 or 10. The kid looks scared but he is tying up three other people. I grab Lani and I make us go into a large tree. "We can speak freely in here. It's soundproof." I tell Lani as I make it so we can see out of the tree bit people can't see in.

"Why are they making that kid tye people up?" Lani asks me. "I think the kid is a cover. The old man and women kept looking at him whenever they went to do anything. And the kid would nod his head. But if the kid shook his head no, then the women or old man would immediately stop what their doing." I tell Lani everything i saw. "But, it's a kid." Lani says. I sigh and shake my head. "Okay, listen to me. And have an open mind. Think about all the magics there are." I tell Lani.

Lani nods her head and watches me. "Shapeshifters can shapeshift into anything or anyone they want." I tell Lani. "But shapeshifters need to have the person or thing nearby, they need to regenerate and keep up with the appearance." Lani says. "Look at the tent. You can see a small foot. It's like they're sitting down facing the tent opening. That's the real kid." I tell Lani as i show her what I'm seeing.

"So technically we are saving a kid." Lani says with a sigh. "Yep, Now. Are you ready for my plan?" I ask her. "You already have a plan?" Lani asks. "Yep." I somewhat lie to her. "Okay, lay it on me. "I'm going in first. I will distract the three bad guys. You will grab the tied-up people and the kid in the tent. Then, you will run to the cave we saw a while back. I already spoke to the plants and trees to protect that area." I tell Lani. "Then I come back and help you, got it." Lani says with a nod.

"What? Hell no. You protect those people. I will take care of everything else. If I don't make it back to the cave by tomorrow morning, leave. Take the people back to Alintide, then go to the guild and tell Ritchie and Brandon what happened." I tell Lani. "I can't just leave you." Lani tells me with wide eyes. "You have to and you will. A black flower will grow next to the tied-up people when it's your time to get them." I tell Lani. "...Fine. Let's do this." Lani says as she sighs. I nod and slowly step out of the tree and watch the three people until the perfect time.