I said I'm a beta

Dan

Else from being a beta, I don't have money, I need to work, the salary here is good, I have to work.

I return to my desk and take out my lunchbox, and dig in. I'm not really trying to save money. I eat while on duty, then again in the cafeteria with others.

"He confessed this time?"

Naz said while typing something, I remembered that I wanted to kill her, I remember what I said to mr. Keen, my ears feel hot. I'm gonna scream. I want to kill myself.

"Why are you blushing? He confessed?"

"Confess what? Mind your own business."

She hold her hands in the air, surrendering.

I eat and answer the calls, someone is speaking in foreign language through the phone, I pass the call to Naz, she handles it.

One hour till lunch break, I endure.

I threw the lunch box in the bag, then taking it out again everytime I get bored waiting for the hour to pass.

I look at the time, when that damned hour passed. "It's lunch break." I stand and announce, Naz stands and rushes to the cafeteria before me.

I followed her where she sat next to her crush, Mike. Her crush is an alpha, but can't really use his pheromones, his gland is "broken" he said. Well it means he is a good match since she is a beta.

I went with my tray and sat myself next to her. Naz shoots me a glare, but I'm not scared. Mike nods with his head as a "hi" and continue what he was saying.

"My little brother is 17, he is a beta, I always tell him how to not provoke alphas, he doesn't listen."

Yeah, another alpha looking down on us.

"How about teaching alphas not to provoke betas." I'm satisfied with my reply.

Mike is an alpha, even without pheromones, he is looking down on his own brother.

Mike looked at my with surprise then smiled as if processing what I was saying.

"Alphas are arrogants, sometimes evil, if someone comes near them, they would attack with pheromones. I don't want my brother to get hurt."

Well.. Mike is an alpha, but I guess since he lived as a beta he started to hate them too.. nothing less, his point is kinda true.

Naz pokes me, I look at her and she nods at the entrance. So I look that way.

What the hell?!

Mr. Keen is standing there, looking directly at me, our eyes met, but he didn't avert his gaze, neither I did. But when few seconds passed and he is still looking, I had to shift my gaze. I lower my head and eat.

Next thing happens a hand falls on my shoulder.

"Mr. Keen, Good work." Mike greeted the hand's owner.

Mr. Keen? I raise my head and look at him.

"Mr. Smith, can I trouble you to come to my office after work?"

I simply nods, he smiles and walks away.

"What was that?" Naz asked.

"I have no idea."

———

My work ends around 3 p.m. I counted the minutes until it ends. As soon as I finished the last phone call, I picked my bag and rushed to the president's office.

His secretary is nowhere to be found, so I knock and enter. Mr. Keen is on his phone, sitting behind his desk, he gave a signal to come and sit, I sit on the chair next to his desk.

I looked at him and once again. He is handsome up close, I envy him. He styled his jet black hair behind his ears, his eyelashes are extremely thick and long, his eyes are like a cat's , blue ones, he made too many expressions with his eyebrows while on the phone, his eyebrows are thick. He noticed my stares, I don't mind, I envy him. He smiled at me, I don't care I envy him.

He finished his call and put his phone down, crossing his fingers and resting his chin on them.

"So, why did you tell me that you are a beta?"

"Is that what you called me for?"

Oh my god. Oh my god. Don't panic!

"Oh, no. I wanted to finish our morning conversation, you went out before letting me say anything."

"I didn't think you had anything to say, I only came to deliver the envelope."

"What envelo- oh, yes. Well I still have something to say."

I look at him with curiosity, why isn't he saying anything? Is it my turn to speak?

"Ah, I'm thinking, do you want to have dinner with me?"

"What?"

"Oh, it's not a date, I only wanted to get closer to my employees."

"What?"

"Are you not going to answer?"

I want to tell him I'm a beta, I want to tell him. No, he'll think I think he has a crush on me.

"Are you going to say no because you are a beta?"

"What?" He knows!

"Since when saying what three times is an answer?"

I don't answer, I can't answer. I'm seriously and utterly flabbergasted.

"Alphas and betas becoming friends is normal, bosses and employees becoming friends is also normal. Don't you want to become my friend?"

Do I? I don't think I do, But I can't say no now.

"It's okay, but I have an appointment today." I lied.

"Then tomorrow."

If I say I have an appointment tomorrow, he'll know I lied. I nod.

"Okay then, tomorrow it is."

Mr. Keen Grins and laughs a little, I excuse myself.

I had to take a taxi to my apartment after what happened. I had enough of alphas today, I didn't want to meet them in the buses.

But the taxi was filled of alpha pheromones, the taxi driver is alpha, that is supposed to be a sexual harassment. But alphas don't look at a male betas like that. I don't say anything to the driver, I only roll the window down till I reach home.

The elevator in my building was shut down, my apartment is on the the third floor, and I take the stairs cussing under my breath.

At my apartment door, I see a girl standing, I don't know if she is a beta or an omega, but she is small, I walk towards her and greets her.

"Is there anything I can help you with?"

"Oh hi, are you his roommate? I'm here for Sam."

"He is not here."

"Do you know whe-"

"No."

"Then-"

"No."

I watch her leave with a tear in her eye.. I don't care.

I enter and the first thing I lay my eyes on is my flatmate sleeping on the floor, cans of beer laying around him, the television is on news channel nobody cares to watch but him.

I sit on the sofa and stares at Sam, then I decide to go and kick him untill he wakes up.

"Today, my boss asked me to have dinner together."

"Wha-?"