Island

Dan

First class? Not even close.

It's a private jet.

I took a private jet with Sam, Max and Jasper. Still in denial, still trying to process what happened and what kind of events lead to that.

All I know for the past week are Sam was cheerful. He was buying summer clothes even though it's winter when he doesn't even have money to pay me back. Then asking me where I put my important documents and passport.

My brother canceled the Christmas gathering I was supposed to attend at his new apartment with his kids.

Jasper constantly thanking me without telling me for what kind of reason exactly.

And then Max overloaded himself with work so he could have empty schedule for days around and after Christmas eve.

I didn't know it meant all of us are going to spend Christmas on a summer island overseas. All I had to process after Sam waking me up at 6 in the morning to a car waiting for us is.. we are going to celebrate my birthday aboard.

"What about work?" I asked Max when I first saw him.

'Don't worry about it.'

It made me worry even more.

I was dumbfounded, I still am. I felt angry for most of the time on the plane, but when we reached our destination I immediately lightened up.

It's actually summer and I'm wearing short sleeve shirt.

It took us an hour to reach the resort from the airport, a ride in a car then on a boat. It was silent just like the flight. Other than Sam crooning, Jasper was snorting. Max was silent as well, and it was awkward. My friends are awkward but with Max around it seemed impossible to be comfortable.

We left our belongings in the chalet. It was a big one with many rooms but Max got the bigger one with me. I was hesitant to stay with him in the same room when my friends are staying in the same place but it would be childish and rude to refuse. Plus, Max did all the trouble to get us here, it would be really disrespectful.

The island was filled with people from different nationalities speaking with different tongues. The only thing they shared is wearing red Christmas hat with summer clothes and bikinis, dancing to Christmas songs whenever I meet one. It was a strange sight. But people were celebrating so it was cheerful.

Reality hit me when we sat together around a table in an open roof bar. It was in the afternoon at the time. All of us exhausted from traveling but decided to not waste a day. And even to introduce my friends to Max properly and the other way around. After all Max met Sam once and he never met Jasper before today.

"Thank you for everything you've done."

I told Max holding his hand under the table. He replied with a smile before pulling my hand for a kiss.

"My pleasure."

The look on both Sam and Jasper who sat on the opposite side of us said it all. They are going to make a joke out of me once Max is not around. But for now they are like obedient kids trying to get the approval of their teacher.

Max is openly gay around me, maybe it's because he is an alpha and doesn't care about gender. But for me I still struggle. Especially around people who know me.

"It's going to be the best Christmas ever I can feel it."

Jasper said relaxing his posture while Sam laughed at what he said, pretty much knew what he meant.

But my friends really felt more relaxed around Max as time passes.

The night shadowed the sky while we stayed at bar drinking beer after dinner. Trying to get to know each other better.