Called but No Answer

Dan

I stood facing the endless amount of cigarette packs on the shelves.

I left to by them as soon as my brother got in my apartment.

In my hands the grocery he asked for to make dinner, I don't know if it's part of his diet transforming to alpha, or he just wants to be healthy, either way I'm going to taste the food of home once more.

Too many cigarette brands to choose from, too many brands to hurt my lungs with. I don't wanna hurt my lungs but I don't have other way to relax the tension in my muscles.

I grabbed a brand Sam always smokes and never once forgot to buy beer every time I'm at the mart.

I lit a cigarette as I walked out of the entrance door, inhaling the toxic smoke like it's a fresh air. The bitter taste made me revolt but the sudden wave of giddiness made me longing for another breath.

My brother is becoming an alpha, he is no longer part of our community, I don't know what to do to ease it for him. His wife is leaving him, and his kids are too young to understand. Mom and dad didn't tell me which means they don't know. I don't know what to do, or whom I'm allowed to tell.

I felt my heart get heavy with each step I took, when I reached the door of my home, my hands were numb, the beer cans were too heavy to hold for a long time, I was barely able to open the door.

I went to kitchen were Jack is cutting vegetables.

"Did you bring meat?"

"Yeah."

I handed him the bag and he took the meat out putting it in a pan on the stove, already filled with boiling water.

"It'll only take 15 minutes."

"Sure."

I sat on a chair watching my brother cook, he was focused on cooking but also zones out from time to time. I was afraid to start the talk, but I needed to know what's going on.

"Your phone rang multiple times."

"Really?"

"Yeah, someone named mr. Keen."

"That's my boss."

"Really?" He said, wiping his hands with the apron, he took a dish, poured the soup in it and placed it on the table next to me, the smell of the meat soup invaded my nostrils.

"Were you smoking?"

"No, I stood next to someone who smoked."

I'm 26, but I'd get slapped by him if he found out I smoke for sure.

"Remember the time I kicked your ass when I found you with a cigarette in hand?"

"Yeah.. happy memories."

I wish I could punch him.

He placed his dish next to mine and sat down, picking the spoon and waving for me to start eating, which I did.

"I got sick one day, I didn't pay that much of attention.. I had these sudden headaches and nausea and I thought it's normal."

I put my spoon down listening to Jack, he didn't look at me, playing with his food, he continued talking.

"There were sometimes when I'd be super hyperactive or get really angry at the kids, there were others when I just crawl in bed not being able to move a muscle. The thing I hated the most was how I became a freak for sex and lust... at that point I had many fights with Lisa and she almost left me twice."

Oh.. fuck.

I picked the spoon again playing with soap till I found big piece of meat to eat.

"On day I fainted at work, found myself on a hospital bed. The doctor told me that my pheromone levels are high, they are like toxins in my blood, cause my body couldn't get rid of them."