The Brother

Dan

Seven in the morning and I'm asking myself instead of getting ready for work..

Am I gay?

I kept asking myself as soon as I woke up as I laid on my bed staring at the ceiling, the white empty ceiling started back.

What if I'm just confused?

I raised my hand against my head, taking a good look at the black leather bracelet on my wrist, Max gave it to me right before he left. I brought it closer to my face where I swear I could smell him on it.

I bounced out of my bed in hopes to let the useless thoughts vanish, I do that everytime I'm left alone, thinking about anything that could destroy my happiness.

A week passed, my relationship with Max got stronger and that scares me as I started to miss him more and more, even started to call him first, which is out of character for me.

His trip took longer than he anticipated, not that it's a big of a problem, but my life became somehow empty, made me think about how my future would be like with and without him and which is better.

All these useless thoughts made the time pass and now I'm not sure if I'll be able to get to the company in time.

I took my suit and wore it over my yesterday's underwear, I don't even have time to take a shower. Rushing out of my room to the bathroom to wash my face and back to my room to put heavy perfume on covering the fact that I'm filthy.

I picked my bag and went running to the apartment door.

"Where are you going?"

I heard Sam asking from behind my back.

"I'm late for work."

I said as I unlocked the door with my key.

"But it's Friday? You don't have work on Fridays."

Locking the door again, I headed back to my room passing by Sam, head tilted down, embarrassed to meet his eyes. How can I forget?

"Your brother is sleeping in my room."

"What? Jack? Why is he here?"

I turned to face Sam. When did he come?

"He said he's looking for an apartment here, I thought about helping him but I got a job today. So you should go."

I nodded and went back to my bed in hopes I'd be able to sleep, but I couldn't. I stayed in bed for good two hours waiting for Jack to wake up.

Jack is my only sibling, he is 35 with three kids, after getting married at the age of 25 he left for another city, so I didn't have that strong relationship with him anymore, not like I had it before with the age gap we have.

Two hours were a torture so I went to Sam's room where Jack is. I found Jack sitting on the bed and Sam standing next to him half naked with a pants in hand. Too many clothes on the bed and on Jack's lap.

"Are you checking outfits?"

I asked, still standing by the door.

"Yeah, yeah. I told you I have an important interview."

Sam answered without looking at me pretty much throwing kicks in the air trying to wear the brown cotton pants we once loved, I don't think it fits him anymore but he doesn't seem to be convinced.

"Danny!"

My brother stood up throwing his hands in the air waiting for me to come for a hug.

His brown locks were long enough for the blue hat  he wore to not cover them, longer than the last time I saw him, his brown eyes had more wrinkles on the edges of them and his beard had a noticeable amount of gray hair invading it, he even appeared taller than the last time we met, comparing him to Sam who stood next to him and almost the same height as me. He is growing and changing really fast, I always thought that he has to stop growing at some point but he never stops surprising me.