Sam

Sam

As a beta, I'm expected to lead a normal life, as an adult I'm supposed to have a steady income, and as a friend I should be supportive and good to my friends. Well.. I don't do any of that.

I watch Dan at seven in the morning pacing the kitchen back and forth, taking off to the living room where he left his bag and coming back to the kitchen to stare at my face.

All I want to do is to find some painkillers so I can go back to sleep, drinking too much yesterday gave me a major headache and I can't concentrate on dreaming without killing it first.

"Stop doing that, go to work already!!"

"I can't! I can't do that!!"

Dan had a horrifying look on his face, as if seeing a ghost. Well, if he didn't drink so much yesterday his face wouldn't be so ugly today, but it's not my problem.

Wearing his ugly suit again, that striped jacket irritates my eyes, I want to burn it.

He sat on the chair hugging his head with his hands, even though my head is the one that's hurting not his.

"Oh, Sam. I ruined my peaceful days at work forever."

"What did you do? You told that girl Naz that she had a nose job?!"

"I wish, I wish.." He whined.

I lean on the sink and give a disappointment look, if he's not going to talk, he might as well leave before I become fully alert and won't be able to go back to sleep. So I don't press him to talk and after a minute of silence he stood up and left the kitchen, I heard him saying "I'm never going to drink again," before I heard the apartment's door being slammed.

He will drink again, he definitely will. I have known him for many years to know that this guy is irresponsible. Since when drinking in the middle of the week is a problem for him? Unless he made a mistake after I blacked out. Again it's not my problem.

He would usually drink himself to sleep or stay up all night before work, that's the normal for both of us, but Dan wasn't always irresponsible like that, he used to be a good student, a great guy, well he is still a great guy, but he was even better, before meeting his ex JANE, that bitch brought the worst in him.

When I first met him at dorm, he looked like a naïve country boy, still with the greatest personality and confidence. I liked him because he was quite and clean, our room was the cleanest and at night I could sleep soundly cause he was always making sure not to annoy me in any kind, especially when I'm sleeping.

After I got to know him better, I got to know the real him, and even though he felt comfortable enough to annoy me sometimes but I liked that about him too.

And even though I hate to admit it, that Dan boy is a good looking boy, more handsome than me. We barely met each other at college, but whenever a girl from my department knew that I'm his roommate, she would definitely try to get close to me in hopes to get him, he was that popular.

Jane absolutely took his heart from other girls, she was a beauty, I'd say a clever too, maybe she only has social intelligence, I won't deny her that truth, but I also won't deny that she is the reason for making Dan's life a mess.

He was definitely in a toxic relationship, he realized that but stayed out of love. Even after she cheated he decided to live with her, and I don't know what kind of courage he suddenly got to leave her, or maybe she was the one who left, but that was the only good thing that happened to him in years.

After her he changed, Jasper and I were concerned but decided to leave him be, maybe he is now more carefree than he should be, but it's better than to be with Jane.