Chapter 4: Girls

When Selena went out with two girls behind her, I stood up from my seat and ran to them. They all froze with smiles on their faces and I waved slowly. "Hi! I'm Jaraiah!" I introduced myself.

Selena stepped to the right to let me see the other two because she already knew me and talked to me before. The girl with short hair and glasses same as me waved back gracefully saying, "I'm Taylor." Then the girl next to her without any accessories smiled too. "I'm Gigi."

That's when I knew all their names as siblings. Selena as the oldest, Taylor Gigi as the second child, Taylor is the third, and Ven as the only boy and the youngest among them all. It was surprising to see the three of them being nice to me. Meanwhile, the boy which should have been a gentleman was very grumpy, unlike his sisters.

I was disappointed but was not astonished. Boys will be boys. No matter how hard you try to change them, men, in general, are all the same.

"Nice to meet, you Jaraiah!" Taylor stated while Gigi offered her hand for a shake and took it. I admired how they looked. All three of them were gorgeous. No wonder why Ven looked like an angel as well. I just wished he also got their personality. I wondered if they get the attention of boys in their school. Because with those beautiful eyes, skin tone, hair color, smile, and attitudes, they were almost perfect.

And they were the opposite of me as a young kid with glasses and were very ugly those days.

As I stared at them, I heard Selena speaking in the background, "What are you up to?" She even leaned forward and squatted to reach my height.

"Me?" I leaned the attention of mine to her. She nodded.

"Nothing, actually. I wanted to play but my best friend is sick right now." I looked down showing how sad I was. That day, Sofia's mom told me she was sick so we couldn't play.

"Oh, is that so?" I unenergetically nodded. Then I responded without conviction, "yeah."

I felt them looking at each other. "You can play with us." I frowned. They were teenage girls so I didn't know they will want to play with me. Back then, I met a lot of high schoolers who all made fun of me when I told them my age. And that's the biggest problem of today's society: When you are young, you mean nothing to this world. In other words to be specific, 'useless'.

People usually define your purpose with your age.

"Really?" I looked up.

"Yeah. What? Do you think we're kidding?" Taylor slightly chuckled.

"But, we're going to the beach. We will play there and swim. Do you want to come?" I finally noticed how their outfits made sense.

My eyes widened in happiness and the sadness was washed away by my thick smile. So excited, I couldn't even respond to them. I just immediately ran to my house and found my dad reading a newspaper so I called him. "Hey dad!" He placed it down and looked at me with an eyebrow raised. "Yeah?" He responded.

"Can I play with the neighbors and go to the beach with them?" He nodded.

"Sure."

In happiness, I jumped and ran to them back.

I was very lucky mom was not there. Because she used to be very strict when it comes to allowing me to go to places with strangers. Especially because I was six years old. My dad was the opposite of her. He would literally say yes to everything I ask him for no matter what it is. That's why mom called me 'spoiled' by him.

"Let's go!" I said to them. They all smiled. But before I can take a step, I looked behind me and found Ven approaching his sisters. I realized he was coming with us and they were going as an entire family. I thought only of them as the three girls were going. "Hi!" I greeted him with a smile but instead, he stepped away and hid himself behind Taylor.

What a kid.

"Why are you here?" He grumpily asked. It sounded so bossy but I was a kid to be offended by it.

"Oh, she's coming with us," Gigi said to him.

The moment he realized what she was talking about. He frowned and looked at me with a doe-eyed. Did I do something wrong to make him look at me like that? I was so innocent there.

"Seriously? I thought this was our vacation as a family with grandma and grandpa!" He complained with his arms crossed.

Selena shook her head in disappointment at her brother's cranky response. "Look Ven, her best friend is sick. She has no one to play with-" before she can finish her words, Ven cut her off saying, "then she can find someone else to play with!"

"But she found us, so we will play with her." I couldn't imagine how kind his sisters were compared to him. "No! This is our bonding as a family! She's not our family! She's a stranger! I don't even know her!"

I wanted to resist and tell him I wasn't a monster or I wasn't going to eat him up. I wanted to tell him he should not be scared because of me but instead, my mouth spoke by itself. "Oh, Ven doesn't seem to like the idea. I'll just go home. Thanks for the invite by the way! See you soon." I turned around and found the disappointment on his sisters' faces as I left them.

Meanwhile, he acted like it was not a big deal and it was nothing. He just got inside the car and sat on one of its seats. I kept walking away waiting for his sisters to call me back but they didn't. I knew they wanted to call me but Ven didn't like that idea.

What a grumpy kid.

I came to think that they weren't real siblings. If you're going to look at their faces, you will think Ven is really part of the family. In terms of personality, you might think Ven was adopted. As I did. I liked him for his looks. But he was... I don't know how to say it.