Chapter 40: SRY

Because of the hotel as well as the thoughts creeping into my mind, I only spent 3 hours sleeping. I know Taylor experienced the same. Unlike Sofia, who was already snoring with liquid pouring down from her mouth, the moment she got in the car on our way here.

I opened the red notebook and began reading the page that I left off yesterday.

I guess you're out there looking for me. I know you are. I know you. This means that I know you won't be able to take it and will soon begin to quest for me.

Just always be careful. Take care of yourself. Don't think about me too much. I don't want to see you struggling because of me. Whoever it is that you took with you, take care of them too.

I love you. <3

That's it? Darn, Ven. That's all you'd tell me today? Last night, I wished for tomorrow to come so hard because I was animated to read another page.

After paying for our stay, we put our gears back to the trunk of the car Taylor's driving. I brought my red notebook and headed to the shotgun seat. Just like last night, Sofia's in the back. "Next stop?" Sofia asked.

"SRY hotel," I responded.

And there goes Sofia again, going against me. "Of all hotels here in Australia with  great lodging, why SRY?"

Taylor looked at me in confusion but then spoke before I could. "Isn't that the hotel next to an elementary school? The one we pass by when we ride a bus?"

"That's exactly the point!" I smiled at Sofia, still confused. But I see that Taylor understands it now.

"So what if it's next to an elementary school?" I rolled my eyes at her question while the car began moving. "You'll see,"

"I can't see it! That's why I'm asking,"

Finally, Taylor backed me up. "It's the only hotel Ven is familiar with in this country. We always see that when we're riding a bus. And for quite some time, during these past few summers, I saw him eyeing that hotel." That shut Sofia up.

The rest of the drive to the hotel in two hours was filled with random songs playing on the radio. Mostly Western like Ed Sheeran, Olivia Rodrigo, Why Don't We, and more.

"Wait for me," I said.

There's still the possibility that this isn't the hotel Ven was talking about in his note so we better hurry.

It looks the same as it used to when I and my Journalism team stayed here. A chandelier was hanging from the ceiling, a big round staircase that would take you to the second and third floor, and tables with chairs beside the reception corner.

I smiled at a red-haired girl, wearing a black tight skirt and a ribbon tied around her neck, matched with a white long-sleeved blouse. I read the rectangular golden pin above her left chest saying, Hi! I'm Trisha! Happy to serve you! (Intern)

"Good morning, ma'am. How may I help you today?" She asked, the same overused line in call centers, hospitals, and restaurants. As if they don't know their purpose as workers in these fields.

"May I check the most recent check-ins please, it's really important."

Keeping a smile on her face, she replied, looking unbothered. "I'm sorry ma'am, but that goes against our privacy policy."

Oh, yeah.

Privacy Policy.

I forgot about that. Why didn't that come to my mind when I was plotting this whole thing?

"I know, but it's really urgent. I'm looking for someone. I need your help,"

She didn't remove that smile on her face. Professional for an intern. "Ma'am, I understand how you feel but this is really illegal."

"Please! I'm begging you," I don't know where the idea came but I tried my luck. "I just think my boyfriend is cheating on me. My friend told me she saw him here with a girl. I just want to know if it's true." I said with a fake teary eye.

I must have unlocked her gossipy side when her mouth formed into an o. As her eyes widened. "Oh my god! Well, in that case, what's his name?" She looked around to check if anyone was watching us. Clear, she grabbed the folder next to her and opened it.

"Ven Botcher," Her eyes went from the top to the bottom of the paper. It took her four pages to scan before she looked up at me and said, "Darn, girl! I'm sorry but you're right." I frowned, faked my astonishment, and shook my head lightly.

"Really?" I asked in confirmation. In a hopeless tone of voice. "Last week. Checked in on Wednesday and checked out on Friday." She whispered, leaning in closer for me to hear her. She then showed me the page where I saw Ven's name with the date when he got in and out. Weird, but all the other names written on it were in black ink. Only his name was in green.

I nodded. "Wow, thanks." She gave me a sad smile, probably still having in her mind, the scenario I made up. "Go get that stupid boyfriend of yours!" She smiled. If only she knew the kind of person Ven is.

I ran back to the car. "Told 'ya!" Taylor smiled at my statement. "He stayed there last Wednesday until Friday. This means thatatf he stays in our next stop for another three days, we might not get the chance to see him there. He probably checked out yesterday. But who knows? We should give it a shot."

"Oh, Ven! Why can't you stay in one place?" Sofia rolled her eyes and covered her face with her hands.

"You got internet?" I asked Taylor who shook her head. Then, Sofia handed me her phone.

"Search for the most expensive beach resorts here that offer free breakfast and have a restaurant open for dinner."

"Why the resorts?"

"Ven said in his note that after staying here," I pointed at the hotel. "He'll switch to a beach resort with great accommodation, free breakfast, and a restaurant open for dinner." Sofia didn't reply to that. Instead, she began searching for what I asked her to.