Chapter 24: Agreement

I paused for a second and thought about what I should give him in return. Until then, I finally thought of the perfect thing. "The newest edition of National Geographic's Almanac book!" He always loved those kinds of books. Even since we were kids, he would read those and when I talk to him, he won't pay attention because he's too focused on it. What a smart boy!

He slowly shook his head. "Nah, already got my copy a month ago. Don't you got something else?" I paused again and stared at the window. I just really have to answer his question to deal with something I started. "What about a vinyl?"

"What vinyl?" He asked.

"Taylor Swift's Midnights, then?"

"My mom bought me one." I rolled my eyes. How supportive. I wish my mom is that supportive for my stand as a fan girl too.

I sighed. I couldn't think of anything else to offer him. I gave up. "Never mind, I won't go anymore."

He frowned. "I'll think about what I should get in the future." The smile that was plastered on his face seemed surreal. It's like he's planning something bad for me. Whatever that is, I hope it brings me justice!

"Really?" He nodded. Which made me smile and squeal. "Yes! Yes! Yes! Thank you so much, Ven you're such an angel!" I narcissistically stated.

"He just shook his head and kept staring at me with a smirk on his lips.

Oh, Ven. Why do you have to be this perfect?

"When's that ball anyway?" He asked.

"Next week."

"When in the following week?"

"Thursday night at my school's events place." He analyzed the details slowly and then looked away.

"Do you have your clothes for it now?"

"Nah, I can do it tomorrow."

"The Jaraiah I know is always productive especially when it comes to events." Here he goes again with his The old Jaraiah I know... against the world.

"For your information, I'm still productive as ever. I just don't want to do it today."

"Why?"

Because I want to spend this day with you.

I wanted to say it but instead, I ended up stating, "I'm just busy."

"But look who's here at a coffee shop." We both chuckled.

"I couldn't resist your offer."

"Oh, little Jaraiah still doesn't know how to reject me."

No offense, well he's still this kind of arrogant. 10% as ever.

"I do, it was the milk tea I didn't want to reject. Food knocking on your door shouldn't just be ignored." I crossed my arms and sarcastically flipped my hair like a girl in a movie who just slayed after slapping her bullies.

"Well, when is your final plan to go shopping for what you'd wear? I want to come with you. So I can choose a tuxedo that can fit your gown."

"Perhaps, tomorrow?" He nodded. "Sure, no problem for me." He answered.

"Well, are you sure that outsiders are allowed to enter?"

"Yeah, as long as their partner is one of the students." He agreed by nodding, and I began cleaning the table by organizing the plates. So that the waiter wouldn't have a hard time trying to assemble these that we used.

When I was done, I leaned my back on the chair. And our eyes met. I wanted to look away, but I was stuck there staring at him and he was staring at me too. It was another moment of silence. But watching him smile made me feel comfortable enough to do the same thing.

He then spoke, "You've changed."

"In what way?"

"In so many ways you don't see. Some are for good, some are kind of... meh." Here goes his deep voice giving me goosebumps again.

"People never change," I said.

"But you did."

"Is that an insult?" He chuckled. I know I sound crazy and a little pathetic. No. So much pathetic.

"No, seriously. What did you do to Jaraiah Jace Carpenter?" Even with his weird frowns, he looks good.

"You said you were serious but then made a joke. What's with that?"

"It wasn't a joke, it was a question."

"A sarcastic question," I defended.

"I mean, I don't know if you're just changing or you're trying to make a change." He's too smart to be fooled. That's why I like him.

"I'm not. I'm not changing. I never did. Or tried to. Your perspective towards me did." I lied. I hope I wasn't blushing to be too obvious.

He took a deep breath, still not getting his eyes off of me. "Please don't ever change. You're perfect just the way you are." His words didn't just give me goosebumps this time but woke me up. Is he trying to keep the old me? In that case, he noticed I was trying to change for him. Which also means he knows I like him. Perfect just the way you are. Words a playboy would say. But Ven was single since birth. Which sometimes makes other people think he's gay. So I know that aside from the most obvious meaning it has, there's another one.

I looked down. Things were getting serious. I wanted to tell him the truth but I was too weak for it. I didn't speak and just kept my head held down. then, he cleared his throat and stood up after looking at his watch. "Oh, umm, you ready to go?" he randomly asked. I just nodded. Still speechless about the things he said. I followed him through his car.

I sat on the passenger seat next to him and leaned my head at the back as I closed my eyes.

What the heck was that? I almost had the chance to tell Ven what I really feel for him. And what I felt about him ever since I was a kid. And I even lost it. Gosh, Jaraiah! You are so stupid!!!

On our way home, the only thing that accompanied us was silence. When I already recognized the roads, figuring out we were close to our house, I stole a glance at him and said, "Thanks for the treat." He just smiled. And then replied, "Sure. See you tomorrow." The smile fits him. it looks natural. Nothing like he was forced to do it.