Chapter 49: The End...?

How long has it been?

Four?

Five?

Six?

Oh, eight. Eight years since he said his goodbye without hearing mine. After that moment, Taylor, Sofia, and I drove back home, taking the best rest of our lives. I expected Mom to ask me many questions but she kept her mouth shut about the topic.

I tried my best to do as Ven told me to. I did well in all my classes, collected a wall of medals, reached the national level for student publication writing, and won third place.

I graduated as our class valedictorian and took a master's degree in literature. Then I entered the licensure exams for teachers. On my first attempt, I passed. And I was designated to teach in an isolated place here in Australia for three years without electricity and water supply.

After that great experience, I decided to build my own business. A bookshop. Of course, with the help of my uncle Jerry who keeps writing best-selling novels until now. I had all his works displayed at the top of every aisle, catching everyone's attention who passed by to come and take a look.

I still teach as an English professor at the same university I went to for college. I was seeing my students only five years younger than me.

Sofia is engaged with that officer he was flirting with back when we were on the hunt for Ven in the police station. That exact same man who arrested us. Who knew it would be this fast?

I used to think it wouldn't be a great summer without Ven. But I've had seven amazing ones. His family still comes here to visit their house. His grandparents passed away three years ago but they still come here as their family tradition. It's just that Ven's not with them anymore and Gigi is married as well as Taylor with two daughters. While Selena has been dating a guy for quite some time now.

A lot of things happened. I accomplished and experienced a lot of things. But there's one single simple thing I haven't done yet. Date.

I don't know if I would ever. I've flirted with some. But none of them worked out.

"See that guy, he's new here," Kathleen, my batchmate and now a workmate in this university that I always get to have lunch with, pointed at a guy wearing a pair of black slacks and a button-down white polo with its sleeves folded to his elbow. He was wearing glasses and his brunette hair was falling to his forehead.

"He teaches philosophy," Kathleen added. "Gosh, how can a 32-year-old look this attractive?" I agree with what she said.

"For Heaven's sake, Kathleen! You're engaged!" I scolded her. I wouldn't be surprised if one day she'll break up with her fiancé with this behavior.

"Who says I'm attracted to him? You are!"

"Darn it, I don't have time for that."

"You have plenty! Don't you think it's time to finally do as Ven said?" She never met him. But I told her a lot about him. Like... everything.

"I'm not sure," was all I could say.

"Girl! You're getting old. I'm pretty sure you would like someone to inherit that brain and beauty!" I shook my head at her statement, standing up with the empty food tray in my hands, and left the exclusive cafeteria for teachers. She went behind me.

"Alright, you know Jane?"

"Familiar," I answered.

"She got promoted, so she's treating everyone in our department for dinner tonight."

"Where is this going?"

"I just think that... maybe... you know... you should try."

"We're not high schoolers!" I complained.

"That's the point! We're not high schoolers so stop acting like the high school Jaraiah who doesn't care about anyone but herself and her best friend, and Ven." If she's not my friend I could have punched her face already. Her words are frank.

"I'll try my best,"

"You won't try to come, you will come. And I will make sure that you will impress that new philosopher! And this night won't end, without you in his bed-" She shut up when I covered her mouth.

"Stop it! You're so gross!" I chuckled in disgust.

"What? Stop acting like you're all innocent! Girl, you're about to become a senior citizen,"

"You're exaggerating, that will take two more decades and a half,"

"Well, whatever. It's you who'll end up in an empty house anyway,"

"And it's you who'll end up in the hospital if you don't stop," I threatened her as she put her hands up in defense.

We parted ways. I'll be in my next class. And she headed to our faculty room. Lucky her, she's vacant after lunch. I grabbed my laptop with my bag and a few folders containing student records.

I opened the door and the air conditioner breeze came marching to me. Students were being... students. Noise everywhere, paper being thrown at one another, and a group of gossiping friends whispering to each other's ears. And worse, a girl sitting on a boy's lap in one chair as if our classroom lacks of them.

One thing I learned in teaching in an isolated place is to always remain calm in cruel situations. It takes grace actually, especially in a situation like this one. But this is what I wanted. And I'm glad with how my life turned out to be.

I realized there's so much more in this world than sobbing and locking myself in my room, complaining about why Ven and I's paths were once intersecting lines but are now parallel.

"Everybody settle down," I forced a smile out of my face. "Get your speech ready, the one I told you to write last week. No work means zero for this task," I heard some scrunching and noises made by students. Some were asking for an extension.

Oh, teenagers.

"I gave you seven days excluding the weekends," I complained.

"But please," it was usually the boys at the back. I shook my head. "Okay, but only until tomorrow. I'll give an additional point to the ones who can perform today-"My words were cut off by a guy knocking on my door.

I realized it was the same guy Kathleen was talking about in the cafeteria earlier. "Come in," I said as he opened the door.

"Umm, hi, Miss Kathleen told me to hand these to you," I looked down and frowned. "Oh thanks," he handed me my blue pouch. One that's filled with sanitary napkins and tissues and alcohol.

That girl!!!