Chapter 33: Getaway Car

I looked at my phone but then rolled my eyes after seeing that it was just Sofia.

Sofia: gurl

Jace: what?

Sofia: have you heard about it?

Jace: ?

Sofia: Ven's missing

Jace: yeah

Jace: how did you know?

Sofia: Taylor said

Sofia: so what's your plan now?

Jace: I don't know

Sofia: c'mon girl! you must have a plannn

Jace: I'm pretty sure he'll come back in a few days

Sofia: probably when he runs out of supplies and money

Jace: funny thing, according to Taylor, he didn't bring anything but his wallet

Sofia: ikr

Jace: where could he possibly be?

I didn't realize that I'd already fallen asleep. When I turned my phone on, I read Sofia's last few messages last night

Sofia: I can't say that he's in a friend's house

Sofia: we are his only friends here

Sofia: it's also kind of impossible to think that he went back to Germany by himself.

I didn't respond to her messages and instead looked for Ven's, hoping he sent any overnight but he didn't.

A part of me is worried for him but somehow, I'm also thinking that he can survive. He got this. He's all grown up now. Thus, he's smart. I'm sure he can do anything he plans to.

But still, I miss him. And I don't want to feel this way.

I think he just wants to freshen up or feel free for once. But I don't feel free without him.

It's just another day—one without Ven.

I looked at myself in the mirror.

Should I put make-up on? Should I even wear something cool? What's the point? He's not here anyway.

I lay down back on my bed and turned my phone on, still staring at the screen, our conversation, waiting for a single word he'll send. I sighed after a minute of not getting anything.

I began to bite my nails as I messaged Taylor.

Jace: sorry but... can I come over?

Taylor: Sure

Taylor: mom and dad are with Selena and Gigi somewhere. I just don't know where

Jace: thanks

I didn't even think of changing. Luckily, mom was still in her room so I didn't have to explain to her. Before I could even knock and ring the doorbell, she opened the door with a smile plastered on her face. I went inside when she gave me the sign by stepping aside. I sat on their sofa, observing their entire house.

Maybe this is the effect of watching too many mystery movies. I looked around, hoping Ven left any clue here. Just like the ones in the books where their friends suddenly disappear and then shows clues about where they went. I sighed seeing nothing but the same things that were here before.

"May I see his room?" I asked. I know it sounds random but the thought of Ven leaving a clue just came to my mind. He's not that kind of guy but who knows? I'll just give it a try.

"Yeah, sure." I followed her as we walked up the stairs and she even opened the door for me. I nodded at her, a sign for her to give me a minute. I know it was weird since it's their house and it's his brother's room. But I just really wanted to take my time searching for a single hint. When she left, I began with the bed. I removed the comforter, the bed sheet, the foam, and the pillowcases but saw nothing.

Then I went to his study table. And... there was nothing.

I opened his closet and searched through his clothes, shoes, and even his socks as well as his underwear. Ven is such an organized kid. His closet doesn't stink, unlike the other guys. Thus, it looks as neat as Taylor described it.

I gave up. I almost turned his room upside down but there was nothing. I just have to accept that he's gone. He's not the kind of person who'll leave notes or something-

My thoughts were interrupted when a small piece of folded paper fell from the ceiling, almost making me scream. I thought it was a cockroach or a lizard. Confused, I picked it up and opened it.

X marks the spot where we fell apart

I frowned as I was thinking where I heard that phrase before. I couldn't exactly think where but I was sure that I'd heard it so many times before.

I was about to open the door when I realized that it was from Taylor Swift's Getaway Car, which might mean two things.

One, this is saying that there's another hint in a car or two, it is saying that Taylor knows something about his disappearance since her name resembles Taylor Swift's. Or maybe this came from Taylor, herself.

I kept the note in my pocket and left the room. I walked down the stairs and found Taylor sitting on the sofa. She looked up at me from her phone and smiled.

"Thank you so much. And I'm really sorry but, one more thing, did he bring his car?" I asked. Yes, I'll go with the first option. If I don't see anything there, I'll switch to the second one and I'll start suspecting Taylor. But if it's about her or came from her, then of all the songs Taylor Swift has, why does it have to be Getaway Car?

So the most excellent possibility is that there's another hint in the car. "No, he didn't, it's actually weird."

"Can I..." I was too shy to finish my word so I let her finish them for me. "Take a look at it?" I nodded.

"Sure." I followed her again to our garage. This time, she didn't leave me anymore since I didn't ask her to. It's not necessary anyway. Then, we heard the doorbell ringing. "I'll get it," she said. I didn't follow her and instead kept inspecting the backseat of the car. Later, I'll proceed to the driver's and the shotgun seat.

I looked up, inspecting the upper part of the car. I looked at myself in the mirror, hoping I'll see something there and I was right. Finally.

There was a red piece of paper behind the mirror above it I moved forward to grab it and began reading the note.