Chapter 46: Rest

After a long quest for Ven, I'm finally about to see him again. As Uncle Jerry said, it's always two things. Fear or excitement. Right now I'm supposed to feel both. Excited to hug him, and scared that he's not ready. But I'm only feeling excitement.

We were all so eager that we couldn't say a word to each other. So, Taylor just played some random songs from her phone. It's a playlist filled with songs she compiled that are very accurate for a drive like this.

Unlike the other trips we've had, we were widely awake this time. All three of us have had enough sleep in the hotel. I observed the houses, trees, mountains, farms, and buildings we passed by that I didn't get to witness on our way to our previous destinations since I was too tired to do it.

Niki's Anaheim then began playing.

I'll do anything to stop time, and drive around Anaheim at sundown. To teach my mind to put you first. Here you are a hero, you wanna be my new home. But baby let up, I won't ever recognize these roads. 'Cause I am lost, but not in you. Yes, I am lost, but not in you.

It was probably the first time I heard it, but I quickly picked up the lyrics and they got stuck in my head.

It was a quiet drive for the three of us. Until Taylor suddenly stopped. "It says we're 16 kilometers away from our house," she pointed at Sofia's phone, which we used as a map since she's the only one who has access to the internet at this point. I looked at it, then I looked around as I stepped out of the car.

It wasn't easy to distinguish which house was Ven's. There were many of them. It was an entire line of houses. I don't know why but Taylor and Sofia didn't come out of the car. Each house had a number hanging on the door.

301

302

303

304

305

306

307

308

309

310

311

312

Then I stopped, looking at a small house covered in newly polished light brown paint. I supposed it was new, it was the only house without a number on its door. There was a fence, waistline level to be exact. Fake grass was all over the ground. Flowers were lined up to the door, and there was a mailbox beside it.

Could this be the one?

I know I can be sued for trespassing because of this if Ven's not the owner of the house, but I don't care anymore. Besides, I've just been there.

I opened the fence and knocked on the door three times. There was no doorbell button. A second of silence, and no one came out. I knocked on it again. I won't leave this place unless some unfamiliar guy or a girl walks out and tells me that they'll be calling the police any minute if I don't go away.

I waited and stood there in peace, hoping he'd come out of the door. "Hello? Ven? Anybody home?" I knocked again, with my voice cracking. I give up. Not totally, just today.

Ven might be living here. Maybe he just went out for a walk, still fast asleep, or this is not really his house. Some other time, perhaps?

I turned my back at the door and sluggishly walked away. I only stopped when I heard the noise of the screeching door as it opened and heard a very familiar voice. "That was quick," three words from a deep power of speech that sent shivers all around my body. I turned back at him and scanned him from head to toe.

I was catching my breath. He was wearing a black pair of jogger pants and a blue hoodie. Moonstone blue in particular. "You found me quicker than I thought you'd do," his cherry-red lips moved, and I watched his dark hair interchange which had grown a little longer. As well as his unfathomable brown eyes staring into mine. His arms looked a little stronger, probably because of all the work that had to be done here. All the work he has done with that officer. His voice... sounded deeper but gave me the same goosebumps I used to get when he spoke.

How long has it been? Two weeks and a half? That almost feels like ten long summers.

I couldn't afford to say a word, so he kept on doing it. "And you actually, tried to search for me. Wow." He was just as stunned as I was.

"I know you're smart enough to-" he kept talking, and I invaded the steps separating us to give him the tight hug I've been practicing to give him in my dreams to shut him up this time. I felt him wrapping his arms around my back.

He smells like daylight. The way he used to. It's like soap, coffee, and some cinnamon roll. I smiled but with little pecks of tears rolling on my cheeks, down to his shoulders. "It's okay," he tapped my back the moment he heard me begin sobbing.

"I missed you," were the first three words I was able to come up with. Without looking at him, I can see a small smile appearing on his perfect face.

"I missed you too," he replied.

Oh darn it. How can four simple words in thirteen freaking letters feel this good to hear?

He wrapped me around the softness and the warmth of his body as I wiped my teary eyes.

"You made me worry so much," I complained. Yet, he was able to form a giggle. It tickled my ears.

When he left after every summer these past few years, I was able to handle them all. I was sure he would come back the following year and it'll be another good time to spend. While this one felt like a decade and a half. I put a lot of effort into looking for a guy that was just sixteen kilometers away from me.

I was tired. But he was the only comfort I needed to rest.