Chapter 25: Hypothesis

I looked at myself in the mirror and smiled. My straight hair tied up into a ponytail with a ribbon and small curls from the two sides emphasized my face. And the mini purple skirt I matched with a black tank top covered by a purple retro-style cropped suit screamed Legally Blondes vibes out loud.

I know... I don't look the same. And Ven would probably say the same thing again. I used to wear all of these baggy pastel hoodies with ripped jeans which I sold last month. No regrets, now that I have these trendy outfits I bought with the money I earned with them.

I grabbed my small Gucci bag that uncle Jerry bought me where only my phone and wallet could fit as well as a tube of sunscreen and nothing more. If I put something else, then it would explode consequently. Then I wore a pair of white boots which reached half of my legs and has a 2-inch heel.

I began walking down the stairs and found mom in the kitchen. "What's for today's plan?" She energetically asked while placing the plate of waffles and pancakes on the table for our breakfast. "Shopping for the Grand Ball." Her eyes widened and the smile on her face became wider.

"I thought you weren't coming?" She asked.

"Well, Dean's Listers are required." She calmly smiled.

"Oh, well. Who's your partner, then? Is it one of the boys who rushed into your Instagram account?"

"Nah, it's only Ven." I pretended to not care too much about it.

"Oh, that's great, sweetie!" I faked a smile.

She began searching for her wallet and then grabbed a thousand-dollar bill from it and she handed it to me. I looked at it, then at her. "No thanks, mom. I have my own budget for this." The smile vanished as she just nodded and placed the money back.

"What about breakfast?" I shook my head.

"Sorry, I'm on a diet. I'll see you later!" I smiled and headed to the front door. Just when I was about to close it, I heard her whisper. "Oh, God! She really is a typical kid now!"

I smiled.

Before I could take a step to Ven's house, I immediately felt someone's hand on my shoulders. I looked back and found Sofia, still wearing her pajamas. Her hair's a bit messy and her eyes are kind of closed. She tilted her head at me, analyzing my looks. "Is that really something to wear in a summer class?"

"Who says I'm going?"

"Don't tell me you backed out. No, Jaraiah would never." Her eyes widened.

"Yes, I did."

"For what?"

"I don't know..."

"Ven?" She asked. Gosh, this girl knows everything so well.

"Yeah, I guess?"

"Is quitting summer class part of your glow-up thingy plan?"

"No. It's just that I wanted to spend more time on myself."

"For yourself or for Ven?" I rolled my eyes.

"Whatever."

I turned my back but she blocked my way. "So it's a date?"

"Do you think I'd wear something like this on a date?"

"Yeah, if that's what it takes to make Ven look at you in a different way?"

I told her about what I wanted to do. But not my plans. Just my motive. I guess it was enough for her to make a hypothesis on why I'm wearing something like this. "Tell me, girl."

I took a deep breath before finally gaining the courage to tell her about it. "He's my partner for the Grand Ball." She frowned then her mouth formed a round shape when she realized what I was talking about. "OM-"

I cut her words off, "G! G means Go! I got to go!"

"The heck, stop! This is something to discuss! OMG!!!" She squealed. For the second time, she blocked my way. "So, she's coming, huh?" The smirk on her face made me roll my eyes.

"What changed your mind?"

"Stop looking at it in a bookish way! It was an accident. A product of my stupidity!" I crossed my arms.

She excitedly stated, "what happened."

"We were at Bean Leaf yesterday-" there she went for revenge as she cut off my words.

"You two were at Bean Leaf? Really?" Another squeal came out from her.

"Let me finish!" I slightly screamed. She finally bit her lip as a sign to shut her mouth. Even acted like she was zipping it. "I accidentally mentioned his name as I was staring at him then he asked me why. I wanted to say it was nothing but I felt so shame so instead I asked for a favor. I didn't even know where those words came from. Then... the Grand Ball entered my mind."

"Oh," she reacted,

Then, smiled again. "But why were you two at Bean Leaf? Was it a date?" I rolled my eyes again. "Of course not! I wanted to say no but it was his treat. How could I resist it? You know how much I love milk tea. It's my weakness, especially for free."

"I thought Ven was your only weakness." She insulted.

"Sofia!" I screamed.

"Sorry," She laughed and made a peace sign then whispered. "Okay, go ahead. Your date is waiting."

"I wish it was a date." I hopped in with her mood which made her chuckle.

"Isn't it?"

I shook my head. "Nah."

"Wasn't yesterday's?" She tilted her head again. 

"I told you," I felt the air blowing on me. It was cold. Is this a sign?

"But what if he had the dating motive?"

"That's just a hypothesis."

"Never judge a hypothesis!" She defended.

I shook my head again as she just kept giggling.

"Go ahead now. I'll see you later!" I nodded and began walking towards Ven's house. I stepped on the two-piece staircase and rang the doorbell. It was so loud that even outside the house, I heard it myself. The door opened, and I thought it was Ven who did it.

But then when I looked up, I realized it was someone I missed. I smiled. "Jaraiah!" She greeted happily.

It's one of Ven's sisters. Gigi.

"Hi!" She looked at me from head to toe and said, "Wow! You look gorgeous!"

I just smiled and said, "thanks."

"Wait for me." She winked. Then went to the stairs. "Ven! Jaraiah's waiting! Hurry up!" She screamed.

Uh-oh...