Chapter 19: Same Old Streets

We were walking from one side to another on the same old streets where we used to play tag before. I remember running away from him as fast as I could whenever he was close to catching the back of my shirt.

But now, we're here just to visit them and not to play like before. The silence surrounding us since we left the tree and agreed to walk here is very deafening.

As if it is telling us that one of us should start a conversation about our lives and also keep the hype up a bit. But I was too dumb to make the move, thinking it would not make any sense.

His footsteps are slowly taken by him. But they are huge enough to make him fast. Meanwhile, mine is small but I'm fast enough so far. His eyes were focused on the roads with a smile plastered on his face.

Like a kid who saw his mom after many years of waiting in a faraway land. But here I am watching him as I have never seen him before. Those perfect teeth and hazel eyes are very well-made.

I wonder if he knows how hard I am trying just to make sure he won't see that I'm watching him. It makes me calm but nervous at the same time. I can't explain the feeling I get whenever he's around.

It's very weird, honestly.

Like... before having him by my side, I am very excited and already fantasizing things about it. But when he's already there beside me, I always act normal.

As if I never imagined hugging him tight on a cold and stormy night.

When he's around, I have this automatic side that treats him like any other ordinary guy. Like the ones, I'm not even interested in. Which makes my plan a lot easier to execute than expected.

Well, I honestly don't mind that he distracts me. The only thing I'm afraid of is accidentally committing things to him. For example, when I'm not my real self, then I might accidentally tell him how much I like him.

And worse, I might even broadcast the scenes of him and me that I kept in my brain for years, loudly and the judgemental people might hear it and misunderstand it as well which could lead to several conditions.

No one wants things like that to occur.

Finally, he broke the silence with his deep and cold voice. "How's Sofia from the previous months, by the way? She doesn't text me back as often as before anymore. Is she alright?"

He asked all of a sudden. I wondered if he was thinking of her. But that time, for me, it didn't matter at all. Because the side of me acting normal when he speaks was the one to take over me again.

"She just used to be busy with such things. She became the president of our student council last year which made her ten times busier than she has ever been. Thus, she needs to take care of her sick dad." I explained.

Again, here I am trying to explain my best friend's life after quite a lot of things going on. Especially to someone who's not even that close to me yet or anything.

"Oh, wow." He reacted.

Maybe that's his script. Or the way other people around him in Germany just really reacted that way which he adapted?

"But despite that, obviously, she can manage her time wisely. She even had the power to play with us today."

He only nodded in response and I completely understood that without even trying to.

"Well, umm, that's great." He seemed speechless.

"Anyway, what do you want to do for today?" He suddenly asked after.

"Nothing, probably some sleeping, eating, and binge-watching some shows," I responded.

"Woah, that's... different."

"What do you mean different?"

"I mean it just doesn't seem like the real you."

"What? The real me?" I sarcastically chuckled.

"Yeah,"

"Is there something wrong about discovering yourself and trying a few new things for just one summer?"

"I don't think so." He lowered his voice and began rubbing the back of his neck.

"Well, then better stop judging,"

"I wasn't... I wasn't judging, you know."

"What do you call that thing you said?"

"I was just being truthful. I honestly just said what I have observed from yesterday to right now."

"Isn't that judging as well?" He took a deep sigh and shook his head.

"Fine, I guess," the disappointment in his voice was obvious, realizing I was telling him such things I never told him before.

"Do you kind of feel going back there?"

"Back where?"

"Home."

Home?

I looked at him as my home ever since I was a kid. As for him, I was just a special place. But not the most special one.

"Nah, I guess I'm enjoying this now. You?" I bent my head over to the trees around us and tried my very best to give him the slightiest of my attention.

"Umm, yeah. I'm tired of walking." He explained with eyes all over me, scanning the way I didn't show him any care.

"You're the one who asked me for this." I crossed my arms.

"I know but my feet hurt already."

"Weak." I teased.

We both giggled again.

But, it's always one step forward and three steps back.

After that short moment of giggling, another long moment of silence prevailed like a very stupid broken vinyl record.

"Nah, just really tired." I raised my brows.

"Seriously? Look at the time!" I didn't know he would take that seriously. He grabbed his phone from his pocket and stared at the time on its screen. It said 10:24 AM.

And there I won.

He realized how early it was

"See," I spoke.

"We climbed up and back down from the tree. I got tired of it."

"Ven Bottcher on his always tired mode again."

Instead of being insulted about it, he kept laughing and shaking his head. Maybe because he knew I was just joking.

So everything I say is a joke for him?

"Come on," he turned on the way back and immediately took four steps forward, leaving me a few feet away from him.

It obligated me to follow in his footsteps. These same old streets remind me of the days we play games. Now, we're just laughing about those memories.