Chapter 32: Where?

I finally stood up from my bed after lying there and staring at the ceiling for about forty minutes since I woke up. I just didn't feel like standing up earlier. I headed to the bathroom and washed my face, doing my morning skincare routine that I began to follow last year.

Then I went to my table, facing a mirror, and I applied a small amount of makeup on my face. I looked to the left and saw my closet widely open. I stared at the clothes there for a minute, wondering if I should wear the same stuff I've been wearing recently, or stick to the ones that reflect the real me.

It's so hard for me to decide that I just went down the stairs with my pajamas and sweater. I wasn't stinking yet, so I thought... maybe it's fine to stay on these clothes temporarily.

I haven't seen or talked to Ven since the day he confessed everything to me. And that happened three days ago. Which means that it's already been three days. He also hasn't sent me a message or called me. I don't know if he's reeling or he's just busy. But for me, one thing's for sure: I miss him already.

With that thought, I proceeded to the front door instead of the table. "Good morning, honey." Mom greeted.

"Good morning, mom." I greeted back, hoping she wouldn't ask where I'll go. But it wasn't my lucky day. "You got plans?" I just nodded as she continued. "Have your breakfast first, I'm pretty sure your plans can wait."

That's one thing she inherited from my grandmother. The thought of breakfast as the most important thing. "I'll be quick. I'll come back in a few minutes," I screamed after opening the door.

"Okay, bye!" I heard her reply as I began walking toward Ven's house. I was wondering what could he be doing this early in the morning. I'm pretty sure he's still asleep. I don't know why but I could sense it.

I pressed the doorbell and waited there until the door finally opened. "Oh, hi Jace! What's up?" Taylor greeted me with a smile. I smiled back at her and tried to peek behind her, looking for Ven but he wasn't there.

"Hi! Is Ven here?" I asked.

The smile on her face vanished. She took a step forward and closed the door, not even letting me in as I expected her to. She wrapped her arms around herself and disappointedly faked a smile at me, trying to hide what she really feels. She was so transparent, yet hard to read.

"I actually want to ask you the same question," I frowned. I didn't get it. Why would she ask me if Ven's in my house?

"Sorry, what?"

She sighed and took another step forward. "It's been two days since Ven left and still hasn't come back." I didn't reply, not knowing what to say and at the same time, still trying to analyze her words.

"Two days ago, he went home and didn't talk to us during dinner. And then, when I was knocking on his door the next day, he wasn't there." She calmly said, maintaining a small smile on her face.

"What exactly did you witness in his room the night before he left?" I was like a detective asking her questions and she was like a real innocent stranger I was talking to; whose name I don't even know.

She looked down and replied, "Well... it was neat. He left no crumbs behind."

"Not even an open window or a pillow under a blanket?" Just like in the movies?

"No, it was really neat. No specks of dust, no traces, or anything." Why do I feel like this conversation is so forbidden?

"No notes?" She shook her head. I sighed.

I don't know if Ven is putting a joke on us, if Taylor is, or if Ven really ran away.

But I am so confused.

Literally confused.

Why would he run away?

Where could he possibly be?

Is it because of his disorder? If so, what's the point? I don't think this is the cure for that.

Ven is a very hard-to-read person. But I'm sure he has a deep reason for doing this. Thus, I'm sure sooner or later he will come back. I'm confident that this summer won't end without him.

Maybe he just went somewhere far away like a forest or a mountain to refresh? Well, I hope so.

I smiled at Taylor, "Oh, ok. Please tell me if he comes back or if you find any information about him." She nodded as we parted ways. I watched her open their door and get inside.

I sat on the bench in front of their house and looked up at the tree opposite me.

Darn it, Ven!

Where the heck are you?

I frowned for a minute when I realized what Taylor just said.

According to her, it's already been two days. But I can't see his parents panicking or showing any signs of worrying. Usually, parents tell their relatives and close friends that their child has been missing for 24 hours. But it's already been 2 days and it seems like they haven't even posted any missing papers around the town.

I wanted to knock on their door again and ask Taylor another question but I decided to send her a message instead.

9:30 AM

Jace: hey! I was just wondering, did Ven pack any clothes or at least bring one thing from his room?

Taylor: he brought his phone, the clothes he was wearing that day, a pair of shoes he was probably wearing, and his wallet... I guess?

Jace: what about his passport?

Taylor: I'm not sure but I think it's in his wallet.

Jace: ok, thanks

I was thinking that maybe he went back to Germany by himself before his family. And I guess I'm right. If he will go to a foreign place, he will probably bring almost half of his room. But he only brought his wallet and phone.

Oh, right! His phone.

9:34 AM

Jace: hey! wru?

Jace: heyyyyy

Jace: are you there?

10:00 AM

Jace: eyyyy

Jace: what's up?

1:00 PM

Jace: hahaha miss u

Jace: where are you?

Until dawn came, I was just facing my phone. I kept sending him messages but he never replied that night.

My eyes were almost closed but I was fighting it. I didn't want to sleep yet. I told myself I won't sleep unless he replied to my messages.

But I couldn't help it. I closed my eyes, letting myself sleep and broke my promise to myself. But then, my phone which fell on my chest, vibrated. Urging me to stand up despite my unclear vision as I was rubbing my eyes.

Author's Note:

Heyyy guys! I'm back. I submitted this story for the Wattys 2023. So, there will be updates every week before the announcement of the Shortlist.