Chapter 18: The Way I Look At Him

We were all sitting on the tree while watching the beautiful view from up there. The tall buildings, the wind, and most especially, the smell of the city. I never wanted to leave Australia.

This is the life I wanted since I was a kid. To be living in a city. Throughout the whole time, I acted like Ven is just a normal person. I would smile at him when he jokes, talk to him like any other ordinary guy, and agree with his words.

It's pretty awkward for me who likes him. But I think he doesn't feel the same way. He never looked at me like I looked at him. When our eyes meet, my hazel ones are thinking about how different we were from those scared little kids that had those fears of heights.

But when his honey ones dart onto mine, it's obvious that I am just a friend to him. Nothing different.

Nothing like someone he admires, someone he likes, someone he wants to date, or someone he can kiss.

Meanwhile, Sofia was calm and knew nothing going on inside my head. I was wondering...

What would it be like if he knows what I feel for him? Would he be avoiding me up in this tree? Or act like I didn't tell him anything about it?

Even if she is my best friend, I always kept a secret that I liked Ven for a long time.

I trust her. Really.

But I don't think I can take it if she smiles at me every time I sit next to Ven. Because that's her. There was this one time when a guy in our school liked me a lot.

And during our Basic Life Support training, he sat next to me. Sofia kept smirking and I knew that it wasn't an ordinary smirk. It was the smirk of teasing as if she was telling me: you guys look so good together.

He wasn't ugly. Honestly, he was cute and a lot of girls liked him.

Brunette hair, pale skin, green eyes, rosy lips, freckles, and most of all, a dimple on his right cheek. But despite that, Ven hit differently in my heart. I couldn't like him the way I liked Ven.

Aside from that, she also made some heart signs that we could fit in every time he wasn't looking at us. And I hated that.

Imagine if she will do that with Ven and me. It will be insanely weird.

Thus, even if she never told Ven I like him, it would still be obvious because of her deeds.

Boys at school always look at me.

Most of them invite me to parties and asks me to take me out on a date.

But I never said yes to any of those. Because I never wanted to.

The only guy I wanted to invite to a party and ask me to go on a date is Ven. Only him and no one else.

I might be obsessed but I don't care.

The moment our eyes met on the first day we saw each other back when I was six years old, I didn't want to look away anymore.

I wanted to look into his eyes forever.

"Oh, sorry guys. I have to go home now. My mom needs some help in the kitchen." Sofia said after glancing at her phone when it rang.

We nodded both in silence.

This is just like the olden days. We're sitting up on this tree and then one of us would have to say goodbye because our parents are usually calling us or in some cases, it's late already.

"Bye!" I farewelled.

She smiled while slowly going down and ran away once she made it down there.

For a moment, Ven and I began looking into each other's eyes.

And he was smiling at me like a little kid. It was a smile of grace.

I was emotionless.

I showed no happiness or any reaction to his gaze at me.

But I was jumping deep inside for I couldn't help it.

My heart was beating so fast that I lost track of the power to control it.

Well, it didn't matter anyway. I liked the way it did that.

"What should we do now?" His voice...

There's really something about his voice. It's... magical.

It makes me melt though it's deep and cold as a cube of ice.

"I don't know. Why are you asking me that?" I chuckled

"Oh, sorry, my bad." To be honest, he completely changed. The first time I talked to him, he shoved me away. When I asked him to play with me, he made up scenarios he needed to do.

And when one of his sisters asked me to go to the beach with them, he told me to go away. But now he's saying sorry for asking me a question that I couldn't answer.

Thus, he claimed the fault by saying it was his mistake my bad.

"Want to go back down there?" He pointed at the ground. I looked down and realized how far we have come.

"Umm, maybe?" I replied.

"Okay, let's go." He made his way by slowly going down and also holding on to the sides of the tree.

He looked perfect there for a minute. Even if he was struggling with the roots pointed out and the slippery surface of it.

I gulped as I watched him smile from below me. "Aren't you going down yet?" He screamingly asked.

"I will, just a second," I said.

I let him get down first. And when he made it, I began slowly getting down as well until I reached the ground.

He didn't even wait for me and immediately sat down already on the chair.

"I missed the roads here," I think I know what he's already wanting to do.

"Come on! You have only been gone for a year! Not like it has been too long!" It came with a giggle.

"But I really missed it, what can I do about my heart telling me that?" He asked with that strong English accent I love.

Perfect!

He will never know how much I like the way he does that.

"Okay, fine! Let's go!" I stood up and began walking. My footsteps were huge and fast. But I felt him catching up behind me without even putting in any effort.