Chapter 23: The Favor

It was an awkward moment of silence between the two of us when we were finishing our food. I enjoyed it a lot. I missed going to places with him such as this one. Sometimes, when he is not looking, I try to take a glance at him. And when he looks back, I look away to avoid any eye contact I can possibly make with him.

I don't know why looking at him makes me full already. If only he knows how much I like him, I don't have to hide it this way forever. Instead, he'd ask me about it. Then I'll be comfortable enough to tell him how I feel.

I wish that moment could take place at the right time.

I took a deep breath. I feel bad because the cream cheese on my milk tea got stuck on the sides of the cup. And I realized that the ice cubes fooled me.

There were a lot of them. More than the number of pearls they put in it. "What?" He asked suddenly when he saw me staring at the cup.

"Nothing," I replied.

"You want another cup? Or just cream cheese?" I frowned when I heard what he said.

Woah...

He did notice I was looking forward to it, huh? Was it obvious? Or he just knows me well?

MAYBE HE JUST GUESSED IT!

Right.

"No, no. I'm good, really. Thanks" I was kind of lacking the words I should have used to describe what I really wanted to tell him.

"Oh, come on!" He smiled and then began looking into my eyes. "I see it in your face."

"I'm really good now. No need to worry." I said; Well, the truth is that I really still want more. But I feel too ashamed to tell him.

He just nodded and then continued staring at the street outside. "Do you want to go for a walk after this?" he asked. What has gotten this guy to be this random right now?

"Really? At this time?" He looked at his watch wrapped around his wrist.

"Oh, yeah, right." He reacted.

He placed his cup right back down on the table when he finished drinking his milk tea. Then he rested his back on the chair and grabbed his phone. It rang because of notification so, he checked it.

He looks... perfect. As always. Why does he have to be so good that I've fallen so hard for him ever since we were kids and he never even noticed it? Honestly, I'm glad that we're friends. Best friends. But I always wished there were more. What? If we were a couple would anything be different?

He already treats me like how a boyfriend treats a girlfriend. We do these typical things...

Life updates talks about tall trees, walks, dates, and whatever comes to our mind that we would like to do. Look at us, we're here at a coffee shop after a year and a half of not seeing each other. And here I am, not going through the flow of my plans to change. I said that I will try my best to get him looking at me in a different way. Not as a little sister anymore but as someone, he can... love. but I am making no move toward it. Because I'm still stuck on him.

I hate him, I hate him for being this good to me. now, I don't know how to resist. I want to stop this crap I feel but I can't. it's like a permanent mark he placed on me. To break the silence, I finally spoke. "Ven," he immediately looked up from his phone and smiled at me. he turned it off and placed it on the table. as if he was telling me he won't open it again, making himself not allowed to.

He didn't speak. But the expression on his face showed me that he was ready to hear whatever I wanted to tell him.

Wait a minute... what do I want to tell him?

"Can you do me a favor?" He laughed. Not too hard. Just right to make me smile as well.

"See, earlier you were suspecting me, and now, look at you!" He teased. I just shook my head in disappointment to myself. Gosh! What am I doing?

"I know... it's just that... it came to my mind." I defended something I wasn't even familiar with.

Aha! Got it!

"Okay, go ahead. Is it something I can help with? Just make sure it won't get me that tired."

"Oh, everything for you is tiresome." We both chuckled. Woah, plain!

"So... the Grand Summer Ball of our school is about to be held. I have no plans of attending. But top students of each class are required to go." He smirked.

"Consequences of being too smart." I rolled my eyes.

"As if you never had to attend one."

"I never did! Grand Balls are not to be paid attention to by the student council of my school in Germany. They're more focused on making the school's educational response to each problem we encounter, become more effective."

"Well, lucky you." I proceeded. "Partners are required. I received hundreds of chats last Wednesday on my Instagram account asking me to be their date at the Grand Ball. I didn't want to hurt them all but somehow, I didn't want to go with any of them. Rumors are everywhere. So to all of them, I said that I already got a date. But now that the ball is so close, I don't have a partner yet. I don't want them to think I lied."

"Well, you did lie." I don't know if it was an insult or a statement of fact. But he was right.

Gosh, why did I come up with these? I'm so cringe!

He rose his chin, telling me to continue so I did. I'm like a dog following her master. "I don't have no other option but you."

"What about your other fancy male friends at that night party?" Seriously? Those men?

"They already got their partners." I'm not even close to them.

"What would I get in return?"

First, I don't know why I came up with this idea. I accidentally called him by his name and randomly thought of asking him to be my partner on the ball. Considering that he's not even a student in our school.

Second, I don't know what I'm saying anymore. I just let those words split off my mouth.

And third, I don't know what should I offer him in return.

Darn! I'm so miserable!