Chapter 21: Long Way

I crumpled up the piece of paper back to how it was before and placed it beside me. He kept pacing back and forth all over his room while I remained silent sitting there in one place.

When he got tired of walking in the small space, he sat down a few feet away from me. I laid my eyes on him. He's... gorgeous. As always. "You want to have some coffee?" He asked.

"I just had one, with uncle Jerry earlier," I explained.

"Oh, yeah, right. Umm, then... what about... a refill? I guess?" He looked speechless for a moment before I answered.

"Sure," I responded.

Then he stood up keeping a bright smile on his face as he walked towards me and offered his hands. "What?" I looked at them with confusion.

"Let's go!" He energetically answered.

"What? Where?" I asked again.

"To the cafè. To get some coffee." I frowned. Cafè? What?

"Why are we going there?"

"Because you said you want coffee." I rolled my eyes.

"Well, I thought you were going to make one for me."

"Nah, I'm too lazy for that."

"It's pretty obvious."

"Come on! Let's go!" He was too strong that he was able to stand me up beside him.

"I'm not yet ready." I pointed at my clothes. "You're going to have to wait for forty-five minutes. I'll prepare."

"You look fine," he complimented then tapped my shoulder.

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes again and with his cold and veiny hands wrapped around mine, we went down the stairs, leaving his room open with the air conditioner still turned on.

"What cafè will we go to?" I asked as he finally let go of my hands. I don't know why I became sad after that.

"Big Brew probably or if you want to go to TCD, Bean leaf, Thirty-Niners; Then let's go."

"Nah, they're too expensive. Let's stick to Big Brew."

"It's my treat! Just for today!"

"Are you sure?"

"A hundred percent!"

"Okay, then let's go to Bean Leaf. I haven't been there in a while. The last time I did was three years ago," I said.

"Let's go!" He opened the door for me and I went out first. It was just a small thing that made me shiver somehow. I was surprised at how he didn't react the way I expected him to when I quickly changed where I want to go.

I looked around while waiting for him and then ran to my house. I inserted half of my body into the door just to peek inside. Dad, mom, and uncle were talking to each other.

"I'm going to Bean Leaf with Ven!" I interrupted as they all looked at me.

Before they could all say a word, I shut the door and ran to the car with its open door for the front seat. I realized the smirk on Ven's face came from the scene earlier. He watched me.

When he got in the car, he started it. I looked through the mirror above us and found myself looking like a girl fresh from sleep.

Wait.

Umm...

I am a girl fresh from sleep. A few hours ago though. Before climbing a tree and walking on the streets.

What has gotten into Ven's mind to take me to Bean Leaf all of a sudden? I don't care what it is. I wish it always gets into his mind so he would always treat me at a cafè.

"As far as I know, Bean Leaf is that way." I pointed at the left street after seeing him pass it by.

"Let's take this long way instead."

"What? Why?"

"The music is good. I want to cherish it." He faked a smile which made me shake my head in disappointment. But I couldn't help smiling as well.

The way he danced along and tapped the steering wheel several times proved how much he was enjoying the music. I couldn't recognize what song it was. That was the first time I heard it.

🎵Psychopathic, don't be so dramatic. We had magic but you made it tragic. Now you're manic, honestly, I've had it. Listen to yourself. Think you need to get some sleep. Tell all of your friends that I'm crazy and drive you mad that I'm such a stalker, a watcher, a psychopath. Then tell them you hate me and dated me just for laughs. So why do you call me and tell me you want me back? You maniac!🎵

He sang along with it which made me smile. I wasn't with him at the karaoke night yesterday so I didn't hear him sing. It has been a year ago since I last did. And I missed his dark, deep, cold voice when he sings. It sounds as good as a professional singer. Or someone from the radio broadcasting team on my campus.

"I didn't know you're a fan of coffee. But I know you drink it sometimes." He finally said when the song stopped.

"Well, you're right. I don't actually love it that well like the others. I'm not a fan of it. But I learned to drink it since everyone in my family does. Influence, adaptation rather." I answered.

He just nodded his head and kept swinging through the new song.

Now, this one is more familiar than the other one earlier.

🎵Do you call her, almost say my name? 'Cause let's be honest, we kind of do sound the same another actress. I hate to think that I was just your type. And I bet that she knows Billy Joel 'cause you played her Uptown Girl. You're singing it together now I bet you even tell her how you love her. In between the chorus and the verse.🎵

I'm grateful he took the long way than the short one. I'm now kind of enjoying the music he plays. "This is Dè jà vu, right? By Olivia Rodrigo?" I asked for confirmation. Because the music was at high volume already, we both had to raise our voices.

"Yeah, it is." He responded.

I wasn't a fan of hers. But undeniably, I agree that her music is really good. That's why I can say that she deserves the popularity she has right now.

Because her songs are famous, I found out about them. Sooner, I might become a fan.

"You should always take the long way," I said.

He shook his head and laughed about it. "Yeah, right. I always do."

He didn't need to mention it. It was already obvious there for a moment.