Chapter 9: Close

Later that day, I went outside of their house when we were done eating and chattering.

We talked a lot.

They asked me such questions like:

-Where do I study?

-What is my dream job?

-Do I have any siblings?

-Are we purely Australian?

And of course, I answered those with honesty telling them that I was from the Center Preparatory school of our city. Also that ever since I was four years old, I discovered how much I wanted to become a songwriter.

I was an only child, and yes, I and my family were pure Australians. I told them details about the questions they asked me.

Same to them.

I asked them different questions and their responses were full of honesty which I liked.

I sat down on the staircase of the door without no one noticing it. They were too busy doing some of the house chores there. The three girls were doing the dishes and wiping the table off, their mom and dad were cleaning some parts of the living room, and Ven was in his room.

I wondered if it was the way every German family was built up: With teamwork. It was nice to see them helping each other normally. It was so easy for them that it even looked like they do it every time.

I left them there and began watching the cars passing by again and silently counting them in my brain. But I was bothered when I felt some tiny footsteps approaching me.

I looked behind me and found Ven as he sat down beside me. I was wondering what got him there and why he decided to sit there with me when just earlier, he was so cranky with me.

"Hey," he greeted.

I smiled. "Hi," I responded.

It was the first time I saw him smiling at me.

"I just want to thank you for medicating my bruise." I couldn't believe what I was hearing from him. He thanked me!

"Nah, it's nothing." I was nervous. "It was my fault. I made you play with me in the first place so that was my responsibility." I didn't even know why I was taking the blame. But I know I was right though.

"How did you learn all of those things?" I looked at him with confusion.

"I mean, how did you learn to medicate people?"

"Oh, my dad taught me a lot about it, and my uncle as well."

"Uncle?" He inquired.

"Yeah, my mom's little brother."

"Oh."

"Is he from here too?"

"Yeah but he's in Thailand right now for a book tour."

"He's a writer?"

"Yeah."

"I love books!"

"It's obvious." I wasn't like him. Clearly, I didn't want to talk about it. I love books now that I'm older but not back when I was younger.

"What does your uncle write?"

"Romance or young adult ones. I haven't read any. Mom says they aren't for kids and I was clueless about what she meant with that. But she has a copy of one of his books."