Chapter 28: Hits Different

I guess they're sticking to their theme. And I like it. Glitters are everywhere and there are cut-out colored crepe papers hanging on the ceiling together with a silver disco ball which lights up the entire place with purple, pink, gold, silver, and green. The curtains they used are all pastel which matches our outfits. On the built-in stage were two chairs and a small table between them. There were also glittered letters stuck behind them which saying "79th College Grand Ball Prom"

I didn't know that this school is seventy-nine years old already until now. "Looks good for me," Sofia said after running her eyes around.

"At least it improved from last year." I don't want to think about last year. It was so lame and boring. It was a masquerade ball but only a few were wearing masks. Plus, the food was just fries, a burger, and some orange juice. Now, tell me where's the class in that? Take note that they only used plastic chairs for the seat of the prom king and queen with no fabric to cover them up.

And also, teachers told us to not wear gowns but just dresses. But they ended up wearing gowns so it seemed like they were the ones who were celebrating prom rather than us. But this time, it seems good. Everyone's wearing gowns and this looks... expensive!

"What about last year?" Ven asked.

Haven't I told him that before?

"You don't want to know," I said while Sofia headed her way toward the crowds.

When we began walking on the red carpet, everyone began looking at us. I don't know why. It's not because of what I'm wearing. They've seen me in a gown from the past few proms I've been to.

As if I've been in many.

Well, only a few but still, this is not the first time I wore a gown in public. So it's not like the thing in movies where the main character is ugly then gets a makeover from a rich friend then goes to the prom all beautiful like no one has ever seen before.

Let me admit I look good. But I've always been. Which means I'm not that girl on the TV.

Okay, I get it. It took me a while to remember that Ven is not a student here. They are probably surprised by a new face in the school. And must also be surprised that I didn't go with any of the guys who made such an effort to ask me for tonight.

But look at Ven who didn't do anything but land here right now. No chocolates, no flowers, no letters, and no sweet words. Just pure cuteness and kindness.

That's all it took for him. Bad for the others. This guy's been here for almost a decade.

****

It's been an hour since the event formally started. There was an intermission number performed by the school band, and plenty of love songs were already played. Ven and I have been dancing for twenty minutes or something now. While Sofia...

I don't know. She danced with tons of guys. If I'm not wrong, it must be twelve. Twelve guys she danced with for an hour. Almost half of our class population. She's not tipsy. She knows what she's doing. But I don't know why she's doing that. Whatever the reason is, she's having fun so I don't care.

Ven and I haven't really spoken to each other since we began dancing. I'm wondering if this silence means something or if he just has nothing to say. I'm quite proud of our eye contact. I can last for eight seconds straight before looking away.

Later on, the hosts announced the prom queen. It was Jade, from biology class. And the prom king was William from the same class. One of the guys who asked me out. Why didn't I pick him? Too arrogant and confident. The face of the Night for women was Claire. And for men was Shawn. All of them, for me, were deserving despite their attitude problems.

Sofia and I didn't get any of those two awards but at least we're both having a good time. Those who won were also voted by me, so I felt like an actual great judge.

This prom hits differently. It hits differently because it's with Ven, the one and only. The lights, the productions, the music, the vibes, the foods, the people, and specifically, him. I wonder if he knows how much he made this prom special for me.

When we sat down after dancing, we looked at each other. "Your request has finally been put into action. Congratulations!" I smiled, then he added. "it's my turn, kid." Wow. Kid.

"Thank you!"

"You're welcome."

"May I just ask, why does it have to be me?" I frowned. Here I am again assuming that his question has a meaning. He asked me that before. And I answered it before.

"Because it'll be awkward with one of the guys who asked me out."

"Is it not awkward with me?"

"Why would it be?" He rose his shoulders and looked away.

If only I have this thing that I can put on my chest to calm my heart, I think I might be using it now. I really need it so badly.

****

The rest of the night was good. I didn't know the grand ball could be this amazing. Wrong term... honestly, it was awesome! Having my heart skip twice at the same time, was thrilling. But wrapping my hands around him with our eyes at each other under complete silence, that is something else.

I quickly changed back into my clothes and lay on my bed. Then I received a chat from Sofia.

Sofia: How did it feel like?

Jaraiah: I should be the one asking you that. What did it feel like to dance with twenty-four different guys all at once?

Sofia: What did it feel like to dance with your crush since you were six years old?

Jaraiah: It's an exception when people are looking at you while dancing!

Sofia: Well girl, don't overthink it! Ven was just new to them, that's it.

I put my phone down and think hard. So this is what it feels like to be in a cliché romance film? It feels good. And I wish I can stay here forever. If forever exists.