Chapter 20: Temporary Room

It took us a minute or probably two before we reached his house. The sunlight kept bouncing on my skin. It was early. Well, for me. It was a little late for a morning person like him. He opened the door and pushed it gently. I
followed him leaving my shoes outside.

I scattered my eyes around looking for his sisters, his dad, and his mom. But none of them were there. "Where's your family?" I asked.

"They're buying some groceries we can stock for the rest of this entire summer." I nodded my head but then followed it with another question.

"This early?" He looked at me with a frown as he turned on the television and proceeded to the kitchen while I sat on the sofa. "It's not early anymore." The leftover candy wrappers and a few plastic cups with chips on their table showed how happy they were at last night's karaoke night.

Part of me is making me regret why I didn't join and chose to attend a stupid party that made me so freaking drunk for the first time in my little life. But somehow, the way he looks at me now kind of chills me down.

He walked towards me and placed down the two cups he was holding. Then he went back to the kitchen and grabbed things I couldn't see because his body was blocking them. I watched as he walked again and placed the box of fresh milk and a bowl of biscuits beside the cups he brought earlier. Then he parked himself beside me.

My eyes were laid on the television. I was pretending that I was watching. Though I understood nothing about that cartoon show flashed on the screen. All I know is that the bear and the cat were enemies as for the bear was catching the cat as it ran away.

"You know this one?" He pointed at the screen and I shook my head, keeping my eyes on it as if I knew what it was. "You never watched it?" He added and I shook my head again in disagreement. "Okay," he responded.

"What about you?" I asked unsurely.

"It's new to me too." He grabbed a piece of biscuit and poured a little bit of it into his cup then drank it.

I was wanting to try it but I was very shy. I didn't know why. I always felt comfortable with him before. Sometimes, I don't even care if I look like a fool to him. But right now, I feel like he's an investor in my company.

"Oh," he reacted as he quickly wiped his hands on his shorts after putting back the biscuit in the bowl. He was moving too fast. He stood up, "wanna go see my room? I made a lot of changes!" His excitement made me shiver.

Seriously?

It was his excitement but I was the one who shivered!

Not fair.

Did I shiver because I was also excited to see his room?

It has been a long time since I last did.

Unsurely, I nodded and followed in his footsteps.

I felt terrible leaving the biscuits on the table and not even taking one.

My hands met the cases of the stairs as I looked at the walls beside us. The same old pictures of their family were hanging over it. The ones I saw several times before.

I didn't realize we reached the second floor. He opened the brown door and flashed into my eyes a beautiful space.

I pieced in my head that it was his room. He wouldn't open it if it wasn't his. I followed him as he went inside and shut the door. There was a built-in cabinet stuck on the wall. Like a pyramid, it went from the smallest to the biggest. It's the same as it was before. It's where he keeps his shoes and slippers. Also his socks and underwears also his shirts or shorts for the house.

Another built-in closet was seen on my left side. It's the one where he keeps his formal attires. Neckties, suits, ties, pants, and longsleeves. I've seen them before.

Finally, I saw the changes. Beside it was a small study table where a picture frame containing a picture of their family was placed. A small car was also there. Probably to display it. And a small round backless seat was next to it.

His bed looked new as well. It was bigger than before. And a three-piece puzzle-inspired frame was on top of its headboard. It was a forest. And it gave me the vibes of a colored version of Taylor Swift's Folklore album cover. He listens a lot to Taylor Swift but I don't think that one was related to her.

Next to it were two black chairs and an electric fan. I don't know why he has an electric fan when he has an air conditioner.

I sat on his bed and tapped its sheets. It was very smooth. I wondered how expensive it was. The elegance of his room showed how mature he is already. And of course, the amount of money he earns.

"Welcome to my new temporary room." He rose his hands and I kept scattering my eyes.

"I like this better with the old toy cars, cartoon character standees, and science-related posters," I mentioned.

Then I finally had the courage to look at him. He smirked. "Nah, I like this better without them." That smirk fits him well. It made me chuckle a bit. This room now looks more like a formal office. Especially because of the random papers on the table.

"What do you want to do now?" He asked. It seems like he doesn't want to keep even just a second of silence.

"I don't know. You dragged me here."

"And you let me drag you." I crossed my arms.

"Whatever." I reacted with a little bit of an eye roll.

"Oh, wait," he gestured to the table then grabbed a piece of paper. Then he offered it to me. I looked at it and frowned. "What would I do with that?" I inquired.

"Selena told me to give this to you." I grabbed it gently and then opened it.

Ayt-

It was just a silly old drawing of me I used to call a masterpiece. I thought it was something special. I wondered how many years she kept it. I was never good at drawing. But I liked doing it to let the time pass. I looked closer at the doodles and laughed slightly.