Chapter 37: Note

I went downstairs to put the fork, plate, and the glass I used in the sink and wash them. I wiped my hands with the handkerchief I found on top of the fridge. Then I heard the doorbell ringing. "Just a second," I screamed.

Then I opened the door but there was no one.

I looked to the left, then to the right to check if I can spot any doorbell prankers running away but there was nothing but the leaves dancing as the wind blew them off.

I shook my head. That prank is surely good.

Just when I was about to close the door, I looked down and found letter-sized cardboard placed on top of our front door mat. I opened it and read what was inside.

I miss you too <3

Ven wasted cardboard for such a short message. I smiled. I shut the door, stepped outside with the letter in my hands, and looked around. "Ven?" I called out.

"Ven?" I yelled, hoping he was somewhere near.

I turned to my left side and was enlightened when I saw a man in a gray hoodie walking away with his hands in his pockets. Ven's height. Ven's posture. One of Ven's clothes. "Ven," it was a call of assurance, not a call of searching anymore.

I felt both nervous and excited at the same time. I don't know if it was because of all the running or if I'm thrilled to see him. My heart was beating faster than my footsteps.

"Ven," I said, patting his back. My smile disappeared when an unfamiliar guy, looked at me. Confused, of course, about why I was calling him by a different name. "Sorry, may I help you?" He asked. I can tell he was good-looking. Just not as good as Ven.

"Oh, sorry, I thought you were... my... friend." I faked a smile.

"No worries, it's okay," I began walking away. I wasn't even four steps forward when I thought of him, being sent by Ven to place this cardboard on my mat. I decided to look back to ask him. "Hey, did you happen to "My words were cut off when I realized he wasn't there anymore.

Sigh.

I went back home, keeping the card in my hands. Ven is really smart. And not just that, he conquered every bit of space in my head.Ven.

Ven.

Ven.

Ven.

Ven.

It's all him.

****I opened my luggage and put half of my closet in there. Including a pair of shoes, all the money I've collected since I was a kid, and a book that I'm currently reading. Lynn Painter's Better Than The Movies. Just in case I get bored. And of course, I also brought the red notebook Ven left for me.

I made up my mind. I will follow Ven. I will look for him. Love won't make its way to me. I should make my way to it. I sat down on my bed and dialed Sofia. When she answered, I didn't let her speak. "Open your window," I said and ended the call.

I climbed up their house. We recently figured out that if I climb the tree next to their house, the one she and her father planted when she was five, I can make it to her room's window. And as I assumed, it was not yet open. What should I expect from this girl? I had to knock on it. I found her rolling her eyes, leaving her bathroom with a towel on her head and a green face mask all over her face.

"What?" She asked as I entered.

"Pack your things," She frowned and I headed to her closet, opened it, and unhung half of her clothes. "What? Wait, what the heck are you doing?" She was panicking when she approached me.

"We're going to find Ven," she laughed. Not a sarcastic one. But she gave me the kind of laughter that tells me I sound crazy and pathetic.

"Are you serious?" She sat on her bed.

"Do I look like I'm joking?" Then I gave her a don't laugh or else I will kill you look.

"Seriously, what the heck has gotten into you? Why are you demanding to look for him all of a sudden? We don't even know where he is. Which path did he take? In which direction he is? If he was kidnapped? Or if he ran away!"

"That's why we'll search for him. To know where he is."

"I know you've had a crush on him since we were six but, Jace I just think this is too much. We don't know what we might encounter. It's very dangerous. Thus, what would your mom say?" 

She explained.

"I'm willing to take all the risks,"

"Even if it means you won't have your phone for half a year? You know how strict your mom is when it comes to curfew, right?"

"We don't need a curfew,"

"What are you talking about?"

"We won't come home unless we found him." She frowned harder.

"I am seriously not signing up for this."

I shook my head, "my mom has already approved this, so come on now!" She crossed her arms, rolling her eyes at me, still fighting the urge to agree with my plan.

"Please, it's urgent,"

"Jace, it's so freaking dangerous."

"I know but-" she cut me off saying, "but you miss him? Do you want him back? Jaraiah, he probably left because he needs space, or something close to that, I guess?"

"I know. I just really need to see him. Even just once. To make sure he's safe. A short glance at him will do. So please," I tried my best to persuade her.

Pouting, teary eyes, and a very pathetic voice tone.

"Ven left a notebook for me. The guide to finding him," she looked at me in disbelief as I continued.

"He did?" I nodded.

She sighed again, "Well, I'm pretty sure he's safe. He's all grown up now. I mean, he can take care of himself. No need to worry,"

I was hesitating at first to tell her the words I know she's been waiting to hear but in the end, my mind won. Again.

"And two days before he ran away, he told me he's currently experiencing a very rare mental disorder."

"What?" She yelled as she walked towards me. Her face showed he couldn't believe what I was saying.