3

Buzz

Letting my eyes drift to my phone on the desk while listening to my professor capture the mind of the class with yet another one of her interesting theories in literature.

Mine to be particular and that is because she is one of my favorites’.

Everyone’s eyes are focused on the mid-forties year old woman reading a book to us, telling us how expressive and vast literature can become piquing genuine interest out of us.

I could be in her class all day and it merely feels like minutes. I guess that is how much of a nerd I am if you put it that way.

Seeing whom the caller ID is a lone sigh escape my lips shifting my elbow to the desk resting my chin on the fist of my hand blandly ignoring the caller to ring out just to retain the little sanity left in me.

Buzz

The vibration continues.

Eyes solely on Mrs. Belle, I slide the phone into my bag a satisfied grin plastered on my face knowing I rather much hear Mrs. Belle’s voice than that of my parents at the moment whom I presume remember they have a child.

Come to think of it, they must be back in the country and decide to see their precious daughter after such long months.

Tsk, poor them.

The more I think about how we pretend everything is alright when all they do is travel, make business appointments and forget important days in my life like I don’t matter makes me sick all over again.

So, no. Choosing not to share this happy state where I finally have my peace hearing the greatest book of all times by my favorite professor till the reality of dressing up to one of those fancy restaurant and eating away the anger sets in as I watch them pretend I don’t have emotions to express.

“…that will be all for today’s class everyone.” Snapping me back to reality.

We watch her walk back to the desk. “Now, I have mailed each of your project topics to your mailbox and I expect the best of the very best.” Muffled groans and moans of disapproval from the student echoes.

She pauses, daring everyone with her infamous look rocking her peach rim glasses noticing some shift uneasy in their seats shying away from her stare. I laugh taking my books in my bag.

“I will have given you the opportunity to pick out your topics but that will be boring, now wouldn’t it? She grins walking about the class receiving nods and few laughs out of us.

Taking off her reading glass. “It is your last year in school after all so let me see who is up for the real world.”

Eagle’s eye slowly scans the room letting a toothy smile grace her face yet very intimidating. “Challenge me.” She dares.

And this time her pretty brown eyes rests on me quickly looking away. She knows I am up for anything because I love writing which crazily turned into my passion.

If only I can get past this writers’ block.

“You may leave.” Her voice speaks, students begins to disperse the class in single and pairs talking about their projects; just about to march out I hear it. “Not you, Kayla.”

A huge lump clog my throat making it difficult to breath.

My feet halt hanging my bag on my shoulder tapping my phone to my thigh albeit tense. “Do you have a minute to spare?” I nod sucking my lower lip in mentally preparing myself for what she is to say.

She sees I make no move stepping towards her instead I watch her walk back to the table picking up her bag with her back to me. “Come over.” She urges.