12

“Your professor told me a lot about you and I was impressed to say the truth. I definitely must meet with the second student whom she qualifies is the best.”

Mr. Wilson sits across me besides my professor, Mrs. Belle who has a cheery grin on her red stain lips.

I know she is very difficult woman to please when it comes to her line of study; when I got into the faculty she was the first person I was warned never to get on her radar.

Students and their hopeless means to scare the freshmen off.

She is quite intimidating, strict and daring but those attributes makes her who she is, brings out the best in the few who stand the test of time; so I worked and studied harder to get what I want because I always do.

It’s kind of my thing. Bragging rights, I mean.

The most expensive clothes, luxury vacations, clean cars, private schools and an ivy league certificate to be added soon enough topping the hat off.

I won’t lie, I stumbled most times even thought to quit her class but the satisfaction of giving her that joy of breaking me like some of her students weaned me off.

It is my dream to one day become a proficient writer and to do that, I have to excel in all my classes especially hers.

Besides, I am Kayla Blaq; and we Blaqs’ do not quit in situations like this.

So I wonder, who could the first student be?

Blurting out my thoughts. “Second?” I chuckle, letting my eyes flit between both persons.

Mrs. Belle smiles sipping her cup of latte. “Oh, yes. Once upon a time there was a first. A very long time ago when I was much younger.”

Why does it feel there is more she wants to reveal? Decisively keeping me on edge observing Mr. Wilson shake his head holding back a grin darting my gaze between the pair.

Clearing my throat. “Well, I’m flattered to say the least to get such high praise from my icon but mind me asking, who was the first?”

This time Mr. Wilson speaks fondly. “Sitting right across you.” I gape. Eyes literally bulge out of my socket. “Lancelot Wilson, class of ’98.” He formerly introduces himself as an alma mater.

The look on my face causes them to laugh but I am far beyond holding in my emotions. I read about him in one of the halls or was it in the dean’s office?

I can’t tell.

He looked quite younger compared to him sitting across me. My heart palpitates with excitement knowing I have the two best grooming me for my future.

If this is not fate, then I do not know what else to call this meeting.

I know I resemble one of the kids their parent takes them for the first time into a candy shop.

“Wow. Wow. Such an honor, Sir. I have read your works, books and all your articles. I am so honored to be writing under your guidance.” Blabbing uncontrollably. They both laugh.

He begins to chuckle. “Now, now, I am just a humble pen-smith all thanks to Mrs. Belle here so trust me, you have the best professor; beside my writing days are over.”

Mrs. Belles blushes profoundly hearing the accented words come out of his mouth while Mr. Wilson looks at her admirably in high esteem.

My admiration for the English older man tripled at his humble state. Very much than eager to finish my books and start my journey.

Everyone in the class seeks internship in his publishing house because he is the best. Any book that scales through their thorough scrutiny is sure a major hit the moment it hits the market.